Internal Hard Drive vs External Hard Drive

jbc

Neither in my opinion reliability is more a function of how well the drive is put together at the factory rather than the drive being an internal or an external drive.

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
Generally they are the same drives just an external has a pretty case with a usb cord attached.

tremmor

and slower. On the other hand have two internals and external. Time and place for both. save in the 2nd internal and back up to usb. works fine.

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
and slower. On the other hand have two internals and external. Time and place for both. save in the 2nd internal and back up to usb. works fine.

Usually they are slower because of the interface not becuase the drive itself is any worse.

Remeniz

I'm not sure about the life span of the physical drives, I have one that's about 5 years old and still going.

As stated already the external's use 2.5/3.5 inch internal drives, in cases, with a PATA/SATA to USB interface.

Personally I can't stand USB externals; the USB interface just kills it for me. But I would use externals with faster interfaces. As back-up devices they can be ok but try and shove a whole load of Gig's through the USB interface, and...... and....... and....... wait.

I know someone that uses a USB external drive to stream audio in real time to DAW application and wonders why he's getting pops/clicks/audio drop-outs when working with medium sized projects.

Remeniz

Hey both are reliable but the difference between is just its speed so the internal HDD spin more then external so its data transfer speed is high then external HDD.

Erm not necessarily so.

External drives don't spin slower than internal ones.

You could have an internal and external drive that both use the same physical drives but it's the USB interface on the external that will slow down data throughput.