internet capping help

samwanyoike

my isp caps speed after 2gb of data usage for all sites except facebook.com twitter.com and whatsapp....is there a way i can make them think am on those sites while on other sites such as youtube?

beers

Staff member
No, unless you can get your traffic classified as unmetered content.

I don't believe any of those services have a proxy or vpn component that you would need to match a valid destination.

Geoff

VIP Member
No, because they classify it based on the destination of your traffic. Now if Facebook of Twitter had a VPN you could connect into so it appeared as traffic was going to those sites that would be one thing, but if they allowed that you could imagine your ISP would stop offering those perks.

Just curious, what country do you live in? That is a huge breach of net neutrality in the U.S.

Reactions: C4C

Agent Smith

That is a huge breach of net neutrality in the U.S.

Sat providers do this, but in the context of file uploads and other things. In fact, I guess Sat Internet counts upload and download as the total data allotment. I'd rather tether a smartphone or use a cell ISP at that rate.

Geoff

VIP Member
Sat providers do this, but in the context of file uploads and other things. In fact, I guess Sat Internet counts upload and download as the total data allotment. I'd rather tether a smartphone or use a cell ISP at that rate.
What sat providers allow you to access certain websites for free but not others?

samwanyoike

No, because they classify it based on the destination of your traffic. Now if Facebook of Twitter had a VPN you could connect into so it appeared as traffic was going to those sites that would be one thing, but if they allowed that you could imagine your ISP would stop offering those perks.

Just curious, what country do you live in? That is a huge breach of net neutrality in the U.S.
ok..thanks..i get it now..they would probably not offer that deal..am frm kenya

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
That is a huge breach of net neutrality in the U.S.
It's not really any different than cell providers giving unlimited spotify usage or the like, which happens all the time in the US and Canada.

my isp caps speed after 2gb of data usage for all sites except facebook.com twitter.com and whatsapp
Does usage on those sites count until you hit the cap as well? I don't think there's anything you can do, just curious.

Agent Smith

What sat providers allow you to access certain websites for free but not others?

There was a member here on this forum that signed up on my forum back when I was able to share my forum's link in my signature. He had Sat. I can't remember the comapany ATM, I think it was VIA Sat, but if he went past his allotted bandwidth he couldn't use certain sites. Mostly file uploading sites and file uploading didn't work.

Don't ask for the member's name.