Internet connection fluctuating?

jessibell22892

I have a Dell All in One computer and I bought it new 10 months ago. I have had no prior issues with internet connection until recently and I am using wireless internet, not wired. The internet bars will go from 4 (full) to 1, then after a few seconds to a minute it will go back up to 4, multiple times a day, sometimes as frequently as every few minutes. I have not had any issues with my other desk top or the laptop or any of the smart phones. I have unplugged everything around the computer that could interfere with the wireless signal, I have updated all the drives, removed my AdBlocker program, restarted the modem and restarted the computer numerous times. It is really hard to get anything done on it because it is so frustrating, please help!

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
What exact model of router do you have and how far away are you? Go into device manager, network adapters and tell me what is listed for the wireless card. What model of dell all in one do you have?

jessibell22892

Modem is ARRIS DG1670A
Probably 8 ft, through one wall. Although the modem is right behind the smartTV, not sure if that would be an issue..

I believe the wireless card is (Dell Wireless 1707 802.11bgn (2.4GHZ)

Dell All in One Inspiron 3455

jessibell22892

No I havent tried any other devices to obtain the wireless connection. I am hoping that it is something I can fix and not an issue with the computer. I spent more than I would have liked and it's only 10 months old so I'm going to do my best to fix it. But I will keep your idea in mind if I cant figure it out. Thanks.

Intel_man

VIP Member
Do you have a smartphone? You can always try Wifi Analyzer (it's free) on your phone to check out the strength in wifi signals. If the signal is still strong on your phone and your computer's not when your phone is right next to it, then the chances are that your modem/router is fine and should be your PC that is the issue.

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
Is the modem also generating the wireless signal? The tv could be interfering with it.

Has anything changed recently? intel_man's suggestion is good, if another device right beside your computer is fine, then you can narrow it down quite a bit.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Download the driver from dells website but do not start the installation.

Go into device manager and right click on it and choose to uninstall driver, you should get an option to actually delete driver software as well. Check that option. Or you can go into programs and features and uninstall the software from there. Then reboot the system and then start the new driver install and try it out.

If you continue to have issues then its either a router issue or wireless card issue.