Internet Connection Probs

some_boy32

Hi, I wonder if anyone can help. Im having a few problems with my internet connection. I have a broadband cable connection which is shared between 4 people in our house using a D-Link DI-604 router. Every so often the connection fails. We are all using xp. If you try and repair the connection it says it can not renew the IP address. If I then unplug and then plug back in the router and try repair the connection it repairs ok and everything is fine but eventually the same thing will happen again.

Im not a computer expert but am fairly competent although my knowledge of networking is pretty limited. Ive tried to figure out what the problem is and im pretty sure it is nothing to do with the actual internet connection from the ISP im assuming it is either the router or maybe one of the PCs causing the problem.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

some_boy32

They all fail, although in the status bar it still says there is a connection. Sometimes it does say that there is limited connectivity but other times it says the connection is fine but you cant get on the net. Resetting the router and repairing the connections does the trick but is getting annoying!!!

computerdude2004

Try going into the rounters preferences by typing in the IP code for your router settings into the address bar and delete the computers from the network and then connect the computers again.

geek_in_love

Look you want a true answer, and this is direct from a ISP tech support team member, try connecting directly to the modem instead of the router and that will defintly tell you whether it is the router or not. If so try checking the timeout setting within the interface after you type in the ip address for your router, usually 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1.. You can find out by going to your DOS prompt and doing a IPCONFIG and see what the Default Gateway is.. that will be the ip address for your router.

geek_in_love

Another thing you can do is set the router to Static LAN instead of a DHCP server and put the ip address in the network configuration, then your computer wouldn't have to resolve to get an ip address.

computerdude2004 if you are going to help people it would be best to get the terminology correct. It is the IP address not IP code. Code is only in 1's and 0's or HTML code but never an IP code.

LANrackGUY

geek_in_love is definitely on the right track, some_boy32.
I have had some problems with the DI604 - did you buy yours white box, refurb?
I switched to the DI704P, and I have not had any connection problems since.