Votes: 3 23.1%
  • ADSL 1M

• Greather than ADSL 1M

• Total voters

ZER0X

VIP Member
I dunno if there was a Thread about what connection type you have but...I thought I might make one :)

What Internet connection do you have, I have 56k at the moment but in 10 days i'll have ADSL 512k....CANT WAIT!! :D

SFR

Truth fears no questions
I personally have cable and love it. I wont go into the reasons why cable is better than DSL.. but no matter what your opinion is on that topic, they both run circles around dial-up. For $35 (US currency) a month.. its well worth it!

hollis098

well i guss its better than having no internet at all, i once had no inter net.....it was the sadest thing that could happen to me...

[tab]

[...]
Congratulations on the ADSL Zerox... what ISP are you going with?

I'm on 1.5M plan until the end of February while my ISP have their special offer, then I'll be back to 512K...

ZER0X

VIP Member
[tab] said:
Congratulations on the ADSL Zerox... what ISP are you going with?

I'm on 1.5M plan until the end of February while my ISP have their special offer, then I'll be back to 512K...

Thanks Tab :)

Bigpond, well it's not the best package but it's cheap and i'll just be using it on GameArena so....It wont go toward my monthly usage.....w00t! :rolleyes:

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
I dunno if there was a Thread about what connection type you have but
Should have searched :p

To answer though ... 4Mbit ADSL even though it doesnt run at those speeds ... its dismally slow (i.e., far less than 56K ... of course they said somehting about network restructuring etc). Then there's the T3 courtesy of the university right across the street :)

I wont go into the reasons why cable is better than DSL..
Well it depends on your definition of DSL. If you mean the "marketing people's definition" of DSL than you are probably right. Now if you mean "pick any DSL you want and cable will be faster" then forget it :p

For $35 (US currency) a month.. its well worth it!
In parts of the states they are setting up 5Mbit fibre optic lines now which is sweet ... something like 80USD/month or something .. a lot better than the 5Mbit cable here (then again it doesnt cost anywhere near 80USD/month)

SFR

Truth fears no questions
Praetor said:
Well it depends on your definition of DSL. If you mean the "marketing people's definition" of DSL than you are probably right. Now if you mean "pick any DSL you want and cable will be faster" then forget it :p
DSL has always been limited to distance from your ISP station and whether or not the lines themselves will work with DSL.

Praetor said:
In parts of the states they are setting up 5Mbit fibre optic lines now which is sweet ... something like 80USD/month or something .. a lot better than the 5Mbit cable here (then again it doesnt cost anywhere near 80USD/month)
Yes that is cool!

The problem with VDSL (once again distance is an issue) is that it is not for residential use, at least here in Southern California (USA) which is a meca for these kinds of technologies, wont start offering DSL at speed over 1.5Mbit for awhile.

My university is currently using fibre optic lines between buildings.

But like I said, for residential use - today - cable is still faster.

(and there is nobody in the neighborhood who is sharing MY bandwidth)