Internet Connectivity Issues

GirlGamer

Hello,

I have recently moved and now my internet connections is strictly through a USB WiFi adapter because of my landlords system. The internet was good for the first couple of months but now it is barely connected and I disconnect a lot from games or the internet in general. I spoke to them and they told me that they have one of the best internet plans (whether that's true or not, I don't know). I bought a new desktop (it was overdue) and a $ 70.00 USB adapter hoping the problem was on my end but I still have connectivity issues.

Is there anything else I can try to fix this? Or would the issue be on their end?

Thank you

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Talk to the other tenants to see if they are having issues as well. How far away are you from the router/access point?

beers

Staff member
Is it an AP that everyone else shares? As more people associate and use it, the higher degree of CSMA/CA back off timers you are subjected to.

Usually the best approach for gaming is having your own connection, otherwise you really have no control over other users interfering with your data whether it be volume of throughput or simply quantity of users (and wireless protocol features like CSMA/CA).

GirlGamer

John:
About the setting, it's not an apartment complex as I am the the only tenant. It's an estimation but I think I'm like 4-6 yards away from the access point.

Beers:
They do have 4-5 sons and daughters that pass around a lot and could be a factor. They were gone for about 3 weeks and I had no internet issues but ever since they've been back my internet disconnects a lot. It might be like you said, too many users.

I agree that the best approach is obtaining my own internet but I wanted to see if they can do something on their end because it would be more of an expense for me to get my own internet at the time.

Thanks,

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, I would say there were too many users and the router/acess point they are using isn't the greatest.

Geoff

VIP Member
If you have a smartphone, get a free app call WiFi Analyzer. I'm curious what the signal levels are in your room. That would give us a quick glance as to if it's more likely a weak coverage issue or an overloaded AP.

Laquer Head

Just because you pay for the "best package" doesn't help if your equipment is trash, or you are too far away. I'd get you own, basic package and have 100% to yourself!

Okedokey

Just saw that he's only a few yards from the AP, may be he is just 'wanting' to use wifi. Anyway, may be you're right.

beers

Staff member
They were gone for about 3 weeks and I had no internet issues but ever since they've been back my internet disconnects a lot.
Sounds like a bunch of torrenting bastards to me, or multiple netflix HD streams that choke it out too.

GirlGamer

Well, I did try to use the ethernet cord, but it made no changes to the quality of the connection. Also I tried to access their router so I could try to knock them off whenever I felt like (evil, I know) but in order for me to do that I would have to have the access code on the main router. Unless I break in when they aren't around, I doubt I'll get that code lol

I looked at all of the connections they have and there's about 12+ connections (excluding mine) with things like Ipads, Iphones, Chromecast and 1 laptop and computer. That's why I believed it really is too many users

Laquer Head

Thanks for all your input guys, I think I'll follow your advice and just get my own internet

Well, I did try to use the ethernet cord, but it made no changes to the quality of the connection. Also I tried to access their router so I could try to knock them off whenever I felt like (evil, I know) but in order for me to do that I would have to have the access code on the main router. Unless I break in when they aren't around, I doubt I'll get that code lol

I looked at all of the connections they have and there's about 12+ connections (excluding mine) with things like Ipads, Iphones, Chromecast and 1 laptop and computer. That's why I believed it really is too many users

I thought you solved this already?

GirlGamer

I did solve it by getting my own internet, I was just contributing to the discussion lol.

How do you access the admin login? Do you go to the router IP and make changes through there?

Geoff

VIP Member

How did you see the connections when you weren't able to access the admin interface?