Internet doesn't work when coming back from long breaks.

ChrisUlrich

Just as the subject says. I'll come home work and try to use the internet and it doesn't work. I reset the modem and router (in that order) and it still doesn't work. I have to restart the PC in order to use the internet again.

Any ideas?

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
I've been having a similar problem recently, upon waking my computer from sleep mode the network connection will fail to reactivate. Do you have a realtek gigabit network card by chance? My problem started with the most recent driver update, rolling back the driver seemed to fix it in my case.

ChrisUlrich

Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller
Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller #2

That's what I have. No idea what GBE stands for.

ChrisUlrich

I installed it while surfing the internet and not even a hiccup. So I guess we'll find out when I get home later tonight if it did anything!

MrSleepin

when i have this problem, i restart my router. boom fixed... so maybe you have a crap router like me!

jk, i love my router! don't tell on me

ChrisUlrich

ok, that didn't fix my problem! It still happens!

It still says i'm connected to the internet! And it's definitely PC related because I can get on X Box Live or my Macbook no problem. Something in Windows is shutting down after being idle! I just can't figure out what it is!

kobaj

VIP Member
ok, that didn't fix my problem! It still happens!

It still says i'm connected to the internet! And it's definitely PC related because I can get on X Box Live or my Macbook no problem. Something in Windows is shutting down after being idle! I just can't figure out what it is!

Check your sleep settings? If you're in windows 7 I do believe there is the option to cut power to USB, HDD, and PCI devices. Either set your pc to not sleep, or set the individual sleep power settings :). Might remedy the problem.

ChrisUlrich

Check your sleep settings? If you're in windows 7 I do believe there is the option to cut power to USB, HDD, and PCI devices. Either set your pc to not sleep, or set the individual sleep power settings :). Might remedy the problem.

Well, I think you might have been right! It was set to Moderate!

Also, my Minimum Processor State was set to 5%. That's ridiculously low, aint it? So I set it to 75% while the max was already at 100%. I didn't do anything I shouldn't have, did I?