Internet Driver Problem

Binton

Hi my internet is not working and it says I need to update my drivers but I can't because I don't have internet on it. I am running Windows 7 and its a compaq computer and I know theirs something wrong with just the computer cause the internet works on the laptop that I am on. Is their anything I can do to burn something or put something on a usb or something? Id really appreciate it if someone can help me, thanks!

Nanobyte

Was the PC previously connecting to the Internet? Even if there was a later driver version, it would not stop a currently working driver from connecting. Driver updates add new functionality; they don't remove existing functionality. A corrupt driver would cause a different message.

Even if the updated driver works, I would check the PC for malware.

Quickpaw

go to
http://www8.hp.com/ca/en/support-drivers.html

hit drivers & software

type in the model number of the computer, should be on a sticker on the side (if its a desktop) or the bottom (if its a laptop)

next you'll pick the OS that computer is running, and then you'll be taken to a list of drivers available for download for that unit

download the network drivers to a usb stick, put that usb stick in the problem computer and run the installers

ALSO i agree with nanobyte, check it for malware as this is usually why pcs come up with connectivity issues. otherwise a driver update should work

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
You have the nvidia networking controller and compaq/HP doesn't have any windows 7 drivers for it. However, it does have it for vista 32bit. What version of windows 7 are you using, 32 or 64 bit? Also do this, go into device manager and find the device entry for the lan ethernet controller and right click on it and click on properties, then click on the details tab, somewhere on there you will see hardware id numbers. I need the vendor and device id numbers so we can get you the proper driver.

Binton

Was the PC previously connecting to the Internet? Even if there was a later driver version, it would not stop a currently working driver from connecting. Driver updates add new functionality; they don't remove existing functionality. A corrupt driver would cause a different message.

Even if the updated driver works, I would check the PC for malware.

Yes the computer was connecting to it

Thanks for the help so far guys

go to
http://www8.hp.com/ca/en/support-drivers.html

hit drivers & software

type in the model number of the computer, should be on a sticker on the side (if its a desktop) or the bottom (if its a laptop)

next you'll pick the OS that computer is running, and then you'll be taken to a list of drivers available for download for that unit

download the network drivers to a usb stick, put that usb stick in the problem computer and run the installers
I tried that and theirs no drivers for Windows 7 theirs just an irrelevant CD burner one

You have the nvidia networking controller and compaq/HP doesn't have any windows 7 drivers for it. However, it does have it for vista 32bit. What version of windows 7 are you using, 32 or 64 bit? Also do this, go into device manager and find the device entry for the lan ethernet controller and right click on it and click on properties, then click on the details tab, somewhere on there you will see hardware id numbers. I need the vendor and device id numbers so we can get you the proper driver.

32 bit

Give me a couple minutes I will get those details

Sorry its taking a long time my mouse and keyboard aren't working -_-

Last edited:

Binton

I can't find the lan ethernet controller

Nanobyte

You should proceed with the updated driver exercise, however.....

The issue makes no sense to me as I've said before. If you had a working driver in Win7, that same driver should work 10 years from now without updating. You may not be able to do all the things that may be around then (IPv20?!) but the basics, yes.

1. Was the message about updating the driver exactly coincidental with losing the Internet?
2. Was it worded like information or an urgent requirement?
3. Did you download any recent Windows optional updates involving the LAN?
4. What do you mean by the Internet not working? Page does not load? Does the browser throbber pulse? Have you tried connecting to other PCs on your network (if applicable)? Have you tried connecting to the router settings? Have you tried connecting via IP address:

If you do not know how to connect to the router, let us know. Skipping the step completely, type 209.85.225.104 in the address bar of your browser. Do you get Google?

5. Did you scan for malware yet?

Binton

You should proceed with the updated driver exercise, however.....

The issue makes no sense to me as I've said before. If you had a working driver in Win7, that same driver should work 10 years from now without updating. You may not be able to do all the things that may be around then (IPv20?!) but the basics, yes.

1. Was the message about updating the driver exactly coincidental with losing the Internet?
2. Was it worded like information or an urgent requirement?
3. Did you download any recent Windows optional updates involving the LAN?
4. What do you mean by the Internet not working? Page does not load? Does the browser throbber pulse? Have you tried connecting to other PCs on your network (if applicable)? Have you tried connecting to the router settings? Have you tried connecting via IP address:

If you do not know how to connect to the router, let us know. Skipping the step completely, type 209.85.225.104 in the address bar of your browser. Do you get Google?

5. Did you scan for malware yet?
1. Yes
2. I It says Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39) and in another thing it says The nVIDIA nForce networking controller adapter is experiencing driver- or hardware-related problems.
3.no
4. I dont really know how to answer this question,it's just no t working I havent tried on other computers because I only have one and no i havent tried those 2 things
5 Yes I did scan for malware its clean

Ugh so it turns out my computer is missing the USB drivers , too so I can't connect it -_- and my burner is external and uses a usb so I can't connect that either.
And john do you still need the lan ethernet controller info?

Last edited:

Nanobyte

Your last information was a lot more helpful.

Is your USB problem seemingly unrelated to the Internet issue? Does that mean that you have no means of getting the driver that Johnb35 mentioned into your PC?

If you can get the driver Johnb35 linked to into the problem PC, I would uninstall the nVidia network control adapter driver in Device Manager, reboot and see if Windows installs a driver (then check your Internet). If that does not work, install the driver that Johnb35 suggested.

Referring to my previous post, if you click on a link to the Internet and it does not work, you should then try using an IP address rather than a URL. This bypasses the DNS server. If you enter 209.85.225.104 in the address bar of your browser, you should get Google.

Binton

Umm well the internet problem and the driver problem came up at the same time, and I don't really understand what youre saying about the driver thing that john metioned
I can't find the nVidia network control adapter and when i type that thing in it says " Unable to connect to the internet"
How would I install the driver because I can't use a usb or I can't insert a cd

Thanks for the help so far

Last edited:

Nanobyte

Did you by any chance just upgrade from an earlier version of Windows?

In Control Panel / System and Maintenance / Device Manager is there an entry Network Adapters? Your nVidia should be in there and presumably have an error against the device. If it's not.....

I would try a cold reboot. Turn the PC off. Disconnect the power cable. Press the On button for a few seconds to discharge any power. Reconnect and restart. See if the USB is back and the nVidia Adapter appears.

If the Network Adapter appears, uninstall the adapter's driver. Reboot and see if the Windows driver loads. It's also possible it could load a backup copy of the nVidia driver. Try the Internet to see if it is working.

Edit: On further thought, if all these problems occurred at the same time, there could be a more serious problem. If the two issues occur every start then it could be Windows, the hard drive or the motherboard. If the issues were fairly random then the memory or CPU could come into the picture.

It also struck me that you should try re-installing the original drivers from the MB disk. I don't understand why you can't use the dvd drive that came with the PC. Why do you have to use the USB drive?

Last edited:

Binton

Did you by any chance just upgrade from an earlier version of Windows?

In Control Panel / System and Maintenance / Device Manager is there an entry Network Adapters? Your nVidia should be in there and presumably have an error against the device. If it's not.....

I would try a cold reboot. Turn the PC off. Disconnect the power cable. Press the On button for a few seconds to discharge any power. Reconnect and restart. See if the USB is back and the nVidia Adapter appears.

If the Network Adapter appears, uninstall the adapter's driver. Reboot and see if the Windows driver loads. It's also possible it could load a backup copy of the nVidia driver. Try the Internet to see if it is working.

Edit: On further thought, if all these problems occurred at the same time, there could be a more serious problem. If the two issues occur every start then it could be Windows, the hard drive or the motherboard. If the issues were fairly random then the memory or CPU could come into the picture.

It also struck me that you should try re-installing the original drivers from the MB disk. I don't understand why you can't use the dvd drive that came with the PC. Why do you have to use the USB drive?

Because its an external drive and the dvd drive that came with the pc is broken

Nanobyte

I don't see where you go from here. You can try the things I listed in my last post. With no possibility of communicating with the PC you may have to buy a new dvd drive ($25). If the dvd drive is not working it sounds like this PC is in quite a state. If my suggestions don't work you are facing a Windows repair and/or reinstall and/or checking the HDD and at least one of those is going to need a working drive.

As Johnb35 said there are no drivers for the nVidia controller in Win7 so how come the Internet ever worked? Did you just install Win7 without checking for compatibility first? Did the Internet only work with your previous OS? Did USB only work with your previous OS? I think some history would be helpful because something is really amiss.

Binton

I don't see where you go from here. You can try the things I listed in my last post. With no possibility of communicating with the PC you may have to buy a new dvd drive ($25). If the dvd drive is not working it sounds like this PC is in quite a state. If my suggestions don't work you are facing a Windows repair and/or reinstall and/or checking the HDD and at least one of those is going to need a working drive.

As Johnb35 said there are no drivers for the nVidia controller in Win7 so how come the Internet ever worked? Did you just install Win7 without checking for compatibility first? Did the Internet only work with your previous OS? Did USB only work with your previous OS? I think some history would be helpful because something is really amiss.

When I installed it I didn't really check for anything I just did it but it worked all this time. The internet and the usb worked with this os and my previous os. We ordered a new computer 2 days ago I just need a temp one, I really appreciate the help you are giving me thank you

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Buy a used dvd drive, you can can find used parts usually at the mom and pop pc repair places. You'll probably need to reinstall the operating system.