Internet Explorer is just ridiculous

4W4K3

VIP Member
Drag_In_D-Flat7 said:
Why is it so impossible to get tech support from them???

no idea. mi IE6 was at the point where it would load my homepage for about 20mins...and then crash on me. i couldnt even use it. so now i use FireFox. i stil need IE6 to run updates (M$ in all there stupidity decided to imbed it in the OS so it is IMPOSSIBLE to remove it from your computer, but you can just delete access to it. which is dumb though cuz IE6 is the ONLY browser that can access windows updates) so i hope nad pray during an update my IE6 doesn crash on me and i wont have to start over. Windows XP and IE6 were definetly not made for overclockers and performance enthusiasts. Firefox works smooth and fast...but IE6 just poukes at me.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Why is it so impossible to get tech support from them???
Because if you really REALLY need tech suppport to get IE to run (slow or not) then odds are you're due for a reformat or something fairly drastic.

i stil need IE6 to run updates (M$ in all there stupidity decided to imbed it in the OS so it is IMPOSSIBLE to remove it from your computer, but you can just delete access to it. which is dumb though cuz IE6 is the ONLY browser that can access windows updates)
If you want to use FF or whatever you dont need IE you know....
- Updates are worthless (well not really, but for people that know what they are doing, it's fairly worthless). Why? because if you're that concerned about security, you wont be using the windows update feature -- not because you dont trust it or anyting but because you will want to read/look-over the technical document regarding the update you're about to blindly apply.
- No serious SERIOUS update has every come out ONLY by Windows Update. That would be plain stupid for microsoft because (a) not everyone has (fast) internet and they know it (b) MS wouldn't want an office building for a medium sized company to suddenly decide to have 5000 computers sign onto Windows Update. OC8 or not they'll get overwhelmed. Which leads me to point three:
- Every useful update is available as a direct download... granted you might have to do a bit more work etc -- but it's there.

Windows XP and IE6 were definetly not made for overclockers and performance enthusiasts. Firefox works smooth and fast
Windows
- Windows is slow for three reasons: (1) microsoft philosophy, for better or worse, decided to have 100% legacy support (2) they CANT make it fast -- not because the coders are unable to but because there are so many users out there that dont know wtf they are doing -- user friendly = slow every time, (3) look at Apple for instance, Apple makes damn near 100% of their stuff in house (hardware and core software) -- this means they know exactly everything there is to know about their hardware and they can write rock solid drivers .... on the windows front there's just so much goddamn crap out there that microsoft cant possibly write drivers for all of it and damn near every BSOD you get will be at one stage or another, the fault of some poorly written driver.

IE
Smooth and fast are relatively subjective terms but even then, you can overclock your CPU by 500Mhz and you wont notice even 1% difference in a simple program like IE or FF or what not. Why? Because they dont require power to drive ... the simple fact that I could get WindowsXP working well (minus the boot time of course) on a P2-350 @ 128MB on a 8GB drive is plenty evidence to the lack of hardware impact.

4W4K3

VIP Member
Praetor said:
- Every useful update is available as a direct download... granted you might have to do a bit more work etc -- but it's there.

im just lazy lol.

Praetor said:
Smooth and fast are relatively subjective terms but even then, you can overclock your CPU by 500Mhz and you wont notice even 1% difference in a simple program like IE or FF or what not. Why? Because they dont require power to drive ... the simple fact that I could get WindowsXP working well (minus the boot time of course) on a P2-350 @ 128MB on a 8GB drive is plenty evidence to the lack of hardware impact.

if its not affected by the overclock...then why will it run perfectly at defaults (200*10) and fails to run at 235*11?!?! im not saying you're lying...but if the program fails to run when overclocked, then runs fine 10mins later after i downclock...wouldn't it have to be the overclock? and i've tested it for dayz without any other software crashing at overclocked speeds...so i figured it had to be IE6 itself. maybe theres another explanation for this...but i couldnt think of one.

Whomever gets to run a browser faster by overclocking his PC, can come claim his price... one's got nothing to do with the other, Praetor is right.

Your browser really doesn't care about the hardware you're running... all it cares about is your connection... of course, it might seem slower because your older hardware can't keep up with ie. saving the data... but don't blame it on the browser...

4W4K3

VIP Member
Avant Technologies said:
Whomever gets to run a browser faster by overclocking his PC, can come claim his price... one's got nothing to do with the other, Praetor is right.

i dont think you read it right. i never said it would run faster at overclocked speeds. i said it wouldnt run at all (not just losing connection, but crashing and creating errors sometimes even reboots) my line is 768K it wont go any faster, but the overclock seems to just blow it out of the water and make my IE6 crash. i think it might be the overclock pulling juice from my LAN on my mobo...but that would just cause disconnection...not errors right?