Internet Explorer Problem, need help

jnovakone

I recently upgraded my operating sytem from Windows 98 to Windows XP Home. I use a dial-up internet service (Compuserve). If I open up Internet Explorer after logging on to Compuserve, I get the message "Cannot find Server". Before installing Windows XP, I was able to open up Internet Explorer and get connected to the web.

Normally, I do not use Internet Explorer, however, there are certain things I find it necessary for. One of them is for Windows Updates, which I cannot seem to perform now. I used to able to scan my computer for recommended updates.

Please help, I am not too computer savvy!

charles@pcfix

Try this . open internet explorer. at the top select: Tools , Internet options , Connectons and then setup. This will start a connection wizard. should fix your problem.

jnovakone

I tried this and entered my Compuserve information, however, it would not let me finish. After I clicked on "finish", I would get a message, can't remember what it said exactly, but it was something like, "Connection already exists with this name".

S_Doherty

Yes, that is ok. what you need to do is go into tools (or control panel), internet options, connections and you will see where it says to ADD a connection...if one is already there then delete it...and start new..run through the connection wizard (which is on the left hand side) it says something like "create a new connection." This should do it for you

jnovakone

I tried adding the new connection and it does set it up, however, Internet Explorer still does not work. Apparently it cannot locate the server (?). When I open Internet Explorer, I get the message "Internet Explorer is being run in compatibility mode and not all features are enabled".

I am not sure if this is the problem and if I need to enable some features, but, I cannot figure out how to. As always, any assistance is greatley appreciated!

jnovakone

I did some further research and, it appears that I am not alone with this problem. Apparently, Service Pack 2 with Windows XP is the problem. From what I have been able to find Microsoft is aware of the problem, however, they have no solid idea on a fix. There is reference to it at their website that provides an, at your own risk, fix that involves the registry(?) I guess I'll will just have to make the best of what I have. LOL. Time to get a Mac!

S_Doherty

You mentioned a 'server error', does it give you an actual error number? This is very important when troubleshooting a failed connection

jnovakone

Well, it turns out my problem all along was with my ISP. The latest version of Compuserve does not work correctly with Windows XP Home. I needed to go back to an earlier version of Compuserve and now things work fine.

I take back all the nasty things I said and thougt about microsoft! Thank for your responses!