internet freezes on some websites

camaro1185

we finnaly broke down and upgraded from dial up to DSL. it works great and is fast, but on different websites it will freeze and will not alow you to do anything. i am totaly baffled any ideas on what i can do to resolve this problem would be greatly appreciated.

Trizoy

VIP Member
Doesnt sound like an intertnet issue. Most likely spyware and/or malware installed blocking certain sites. Go grab "hijackthis".. www.google.com and post the log in the spyware section.

PC eye

banned
Since you upgraded from dial-up to dsl the router now would have a firewall inplace at this time. In order to go to certain sites you would need to change the settings to allow access to those sites being blocked. Not everything is automatically a malware, spyware, adware, or virus infection. If you have no other problems seen when going to other then those sites your firewall is preventing access.

SirKenin

banned
Umm. Router firewalls don't block websites by default. You would have to do it manually.

Malware can edit your HOSTS file and loop it back so that you can't access certain websites. That's what it sounds like in this case. I think the move from dial-up to DSL is just a red herring.

PC eye

banned
It depends on the firewall and firewall settings usually found online at the ISP's account page. That's where each individual account's settings are configured. If the settings are higher then default it can have an effect. Another item to consider is Java and unsigned Active X controls. Where the default settings in IE may never have blocked some things a firewall could see an effect there.

SirKenin

banned
No firewall blocks websites by default that I have run across. Not software, not hardware, not ISP. In all cases you have to edit the list manually.

I have worked on many computers where malware has edited the HOSTS file and had built in redundancy so that if you tried to get rid of the malware OR edit the HOSTS file it would reset itself. This type of malware targets security websites, such as Symantec, Panda, Trend Micro, even Microsoft. When you try to access the url it is looped back to a local host, 127.0.0.1 and the page never loads.

If it is a firewall or malware problem you will get an error that the page cannot be displayed.

If the page tries to load, but crashes part way through or something, that is a different problem altogether.. Post back here if that is what is happening, along with the specific error.

Last edited:

Trizoy

VIP Member
No firewall blocks websites by default that I have run across. Not software, not hardware, not ISP. In all cases you have to edit the list manually.

I have worked on many computers where malware has edited the HOSTS file and had built in redundancy so that if you tried to get rid of the malware OR edit the HOSTS file it would reset itself. This type of malware targets security websites, such as Symantec, Panda, Trend Micro, even Microsoft. When you try to access the url it is looped back to a local host, 127.0.0.1 and the page never loads.

If it is a firewall or malware problem you will get an error that the page cannot be displayed.

If the page tries to load, but crashes part way through or something, that is a different problem altogether.. Post back here if that is what is happening, along with the specific error.

I have to agree with all of this. PC Eye, I am not sure what type of service you have dealt with, but it is different than my own... BY DEFAULT no webpage will be blocked by a firewall. BUT, things on the page might be blocked.

You could always tracert it and find out where the signal stops..

Start, run and type CMD. Type tracert "the website" Example "tracert yahoo.com"

Then look where the signal is stopped. It might be local, might be a server error...

PC eye

banned
How are you trying to connect to certain sites is another matter. If you are using your favorites or links the actual files needed could have been wiped during the change over. That means you would have to go to the home page and then the pages saved previously. I've had that happen a few times. Or there were changes on the sites themselves. The things mentioned here are all possible causes. Nothing has been written in stone quite yet.

SirKenin

banned
Changing ISPs will not in any way affect any files on the computer save for your networking settings.

Any pages that have had changes to them from the cached ones on your HDD are automatically redownloaded by default. The easiest way to check for this is to check your Internet Explorer settings to see if the check box is set to check for changes on each visit.

If you're not getting a "page cannot be displayed" error, then clear your cache. All the temp files, cookies, saved offline pages, everything. Then try again. That can solve a plethora of problems.

camaro1185

it seems to be all the mail websites, for instance, my yahoo mail, aol.com, my school email etc. thanks for all the ideas. any more ideas that might help would be greatly appreciated.

PC eye

banned
I can’t open any websites?1.Check the browser setting, In Internet Explorer, Click Tool -> Internet Option -> Security Tab -> Select Internet -> Click Default Level Button. Select Advanced Tab -> Click Restore Defaults
2.Check the browser is not using a proxy, In Internet Explorer, Click Tool -> Internet Options -> Connections Tab, Select the dialup connection -> Click Settings. Under the heading Proxy Server check this option is not ticked
3.Try nominating a proxy server, add address proxy.tpg.com.au port 80
4.Remove Temporary Internet Files and cookies, In Internet Explorer, Click Tool -> Internet Option -> Under the heading Temporary Internet Files ->Click Delete Cookies and Delete Files
5.Open an MS-DOS/Command prompt window, type "ping 127.0.0.1" (without the quotes), and then press ENTER. If you receive four replies, then type “ping www.tpg.com.au” (without the quotes), and then press ENTER. If you receive four replies check entries in the Hosts file.
6.If you receive a "Request time out" error message or if you do not receive four replies check that TCP/IP Is Installed and Functioning Properly.
http://www.tpg.com.au/helpdesk/faqs.php?TPGSESS=055ac95e241abc61ac8622fc1bce616f#Q0.1.1.10

camaro1185

heres the log of the hijack this.
i dont know what the hell it means tell me what u think the problem might be from that.

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 9:45:54 PM, on 8/17/2006
Platform: Windows XP SP1 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
C:\WINNT\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\services.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINNT\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SNDSrvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SPBBC\SPBBCSvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\CCPD-LC\symlcsvc.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINNT\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe
C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe
C:\Program Files\BroadJump\Client Foundation\CFD.exe
C:\WINNT\System32\ctfmon.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\AOL\ACS\AOLacsd.exe
C:\Program Files\Symantec\LiveUpdate\ALUSchedulerSvc.exe
C:\WINNT\System32\cisvc.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\drivers\KodakCCS.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VS7Debug\mdm.exe
C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\IWP\NPFMntor.exe
C:\WINNT\System32\nvsvc32.exe
C:\WINNT\System32\ScsiAccess.EXE
C:\WINNT\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINNT\wanmpsvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Security Console\NSCSRVCE.EXE
C:\WINNT\System32\cidaemon.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE
C:\Documents and Settings\************\My Documents\Matt\HijackThis.exe
C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://webmail.rsd13.org/Exchange
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://default-homepage-network.com/start.cgi?new-hklm
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyOverride = localhost
R3 - Default URLSearchHook is missing
O2 - BHO: MyWebSearch Search Assistant BHO - {00A6FAF1-072E-44cf-8957-5838F569A31D} - C:\Program Files\MyWebSearch\SrchAstt\1.bin\MWSSRCAS.DLL (file missing)
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 5.0\Reader\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.ocx
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {243B17DE-77C7-46BF-B94B-0B5F309A0E64} - C:\Program Files\Microsoft Money\System\mnyside.dll
O2 - BHO: NAV Helper - {A8F38D8D-E480-4D52-B7A2-731BB6995FDD} - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {FDD3B846-8D59-4ffb-8758-209B6AD74ACC} - (no file)
O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINNT\System32\msdxm.ocx
O3 - Toolbar: AOL Toolbar - {4982D40A-C53B-4615-B15B-B5B5E98D167C} - C:\Program Files\AOL Toolbar\toolbar.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Norton AntiVirus - {C4069E3A-68F1-403E-B40E-20066696354B} - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccApp] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [BJCFD] C:\Program Files\BroadJump\Client Foundation\CFD.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINNT\System32\ctfmon.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: &AOL Toolbar search - res://C:\Program Files\AOL Toolbar\toolbar.dll/SEARCH.HTML
O8 - Extra context menu item: &Search - http://bar.mywebsearch.com/menusearch.html?p=ZSzeb012YYUS_ZZzebXXX
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MI1933~1\Office10\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O9 - Extra button: AOL Toolbar - {4982D40A-C53B-4615-B15B-B5B5E98D167C} - C:\Program Files\AOL Toolbar\toolbar.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: AOL Toolbar - {4982D40A-C53B-4615-B15B-B5B5E98D167C} - C:\Program Files\AOL Toolbar\toolbar.dll
O9 - Extra button: AIM - {AC9E2541-2814-11d5-BC6D-00B0D0A1DE45} - G:\AIM\AIM\aim.exe (file missing)
O9 - Extra button: Real.com - {CD67F990-D8E9-11d2-98FE-00C0F0318AFE} - C:\WINNT\System32\Shdocvw.dll
O9 - Extra button: MoneySide - {E023F504-0C5A-4750-A1E7-A9046DEA8A21} - C:\Program Files\Microsoft Money\System\mnyside.dll
O12 - Plugin for .spop: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\Plugins\NPDocBox.dll
O16 - DPF: {1D0D9077-3798-49BB-9058-393499174D5D} - file://c:\counter.cab
O16 - DPF: {1D4DB7D2-6EC9-47A3-BD87-1E41684E07BB} - http://ak.imgfarm.com/images/nocache/funwebproducts/ei-2/SmileyCentralFWBInitialSetup1.0.0.8-2.exe
O16 - DPF: {30528230-99f7-4bb4-88d8-fa1d4f56a2ab} (YInstStarter Class) - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\common\yinsthelper.dll
O16 - DPF: {6E32070A-766D-4EE6-879C-DC1FA91D2FC3} (MUWebControl Class) - http://update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdate/v6/V5Controls/en/x86/client/muweb_site.cab?1123994031843
O23 - Service: AOL Connectivity Service (AOL ACS) - America Online, Inc. - C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\AOL\ACS\AOLacsd.exe
O23 - Service: AOL Spyware Protection Service (AOLService) - Unknown owner - C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\AOL\AOLSPY~1\\aolserv.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: Automatic LiveUpdate Scheduler - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Symantec\LiveUpdate\ALUSchedulerSvc.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Event Manager (ccEvtMgr) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Settings Manager (ccSetMgr) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe
O23 - Service: Kodak Camera Connection Software (KodakCCS) - Eastman Kodak Company - C:\WINNT\system32\drivers\KodakCCS.exe
O23 - Service: LiveUpdate - Symantec Corporation - C:\PROGRA~1\Symantec\LIVEUP~1\LUCOMS~1.EXE
O23 - Service: Norton AntiVirus Auto-Protect Service (navapsvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
O23 - Service: Intel NCS NetService (NetSvc) - Intel(R) Corporation - C:\Program Files\Intel\NCS\Sync\NetSvc.exe
O23 - Service: Norton AntiVirus Firewall Monitor Service (NPFMntor) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\IWP\NPFMntor.exe
O23 - Service: Norton Protection Center Service (NSCService) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Security Console\NSCSRVCE.EXE
O23 - Service: NVIDIA Driver Helper Service (NVSvc) - NVIDIA Corporation - C:\WINNT\System32\nvsvc32.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec AVScan (SAVScan) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\SAVScan.exe
O23 - Service: ScsiAccess - Unknown owner - C:\WINNT\System32\ScsiAccess.EXE
O23 - Service: Symantec Network Drivers Service (SNDSrvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SNDSrvc.exe
O23 - Service: SPBBCSvc - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SPBBC\SPBBCSvc.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Core LC - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\CCPD-LC\symlcsvc.exe
O23 - Service: WAN Miniport (ATW) Service (WANMiniportService) - America Online, Inc. - C:\WINNT\wanmpsvc.exe

Last edited:

PC eye

banned
it seems to be all the mail websites, for instance, my yahoo mail, aol.com, my school email etc. thanks for all the ideas. any more ideas that might help would be greatly appreciated.

When you deleted your offline content and cleared your history you also cleared your user name and password information. You are no longer auto logging on to your accounts. Now you have re-enter that information and check the box for password to be saved on local computer.

PC eye

banned
Oh crap! When you add some of the low end tool bars expect problems. If you need a good search bar that you can customize appearance as well as combining search engines, http://www.infospace.com/home/tbar/ This of course depends on where you are located naturally. But it offer it's own popup ad blocker you can customize according to various sites.

PC eye

banned
I don't really know. I have had bad, bad experiences with toolbars. Get rid of it and see what happens.

So apparently I'm not the only one that has tried and swiftly "removed" that one! :p The tool bar at the link above has no "bugs" included. Despite the initial appearance at first it has been used here for about 3 to 4 years with some excellent reports. :)