Internet goes down every night.

Goose

So I've been having this weird problem for the last week or so with my internet going down in the middle of the night, every night.

For the past week, everytime I get up in the morning, my network says it can't communicated with the primary DNS server, so I can't access the internet. I reset the router and it's fine. It'll be fine all day long. I go to sleep, get up, and it'll be down again.

Anybody have any idea what's going on here? The router is a standard Linksys cable/dsl router.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Contact the cable company to see if they are having issues in the area, try flashing firmware for the modem/router.

codeman0013

Is it comcast? My comcast has been doing this like crazy and they claim its all over and intermittent and they dont have a solution at this time.. Its very annoying when it does it during online gaming!

Zatharus

VIP Member
The DNS servers shouldn't affect your online gaming codeman. Most of that is driven with direct IP connection. The DNS server is just for name resolution - i.e. type in google.com and your request goes to the DNS server to return the actual IP address.

Goose, is your computer connecting over WiFi or Ethernet?

Goose

It's connected over Ethernet.

Oddly enough the problem didn't happen last night, so Johnb might be right and it might just be Comcast having issues. If it happens tonight, I'll give them a call in the morning and see what they say.

AdmnPower

VIP Member
I assume you use your computer pretty regularly through out the day. I'm wondering if the issue arises when the connection is idle for a significant period of time. One thing you might try is to run a continuous ping of some server somewhere over night or perhaps open up a streaming radio station and let it run over night. If for some reason either of these things stall out than that eliminates my idea.

Zatharus

VIP Member
Hmm... That is possible especially if the power settings are putting the NIC into a low-power mode (that it may not support).