Internet Lag and Cut-Out

Whisper91

Hello,

I have been having this problem when I use the internet. I can be using it for hours at a time, but every once-in-a-while I will lose internet (it will completely go offline from my computer [and my Xbox wireless] for about 10 seconds. After, it will work for hours or sometimes do it repeatedly for minutes at a time. I've noticed that sometimes my Xbox will go out but my computer is fine, and vice versa. I thought maybe to get a new router, but that didn't solve anything. I also get REALLY bad lag, not usual stutter lag. The game will stop for a few seconds, then move very quickly. I've gotten lag before, but not as bad as this.

So my hookup is this:

Modem
db_BS_013.jpg

Router
db_BS_018.jpg

Then I have a cable that runs from where those ^^ are to my room. I have a battery backup so I have the cable end there. Then I have another internet cable that runs from my battery backup to my computer. And my Xbox is wireless.

I am so bad with this internet crap so I don't even know if those are what I say they are haha.

But apparently, when my parents and brother uses it, they have no problems (my brother has the router and modem in his room, my mom uses a laptop, and my dad has a computer downstairs.)

I only figure it's the cable that runs from my room to my brothers room. But I would rather find out from someone who might know better.

Thank you!

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
How often do you restart your router? It kind of sounds like it's flaking out.

You can try switching cables but as one is wireless and the other isn't it's unlikely that the cable is the problem.

JasonPDK

Try connecting a different cable to your computer see if it continues to happen, but when it happens with your XBOX as well it seems more like a problem with the router.

Darren

Staff member
I'd be inclined to think it's your router or possibly modem failing. Have you restarted both? Since it's 2 devices it's probably the whole network and the rest of your family may not be noticing it.