internet problem

b4oba0

hey guys i'm having trouble with my internet....on my desktop i have a wireless connection setup but its really close to the router...practically next to it...so i also connected it directly to the router. however...when i turn on my computer for a long time...for some weird reason i would lose connection to the internet and i would need to restart my computer in order to reconnect to the internet. i have tried disabling the wireless internet connection and reparing the connection but it never works. can anyone help me on this?

PC eye

banned
If your system is the host pc you may need to use a Lan or other type of addin card for having a direct connection to the router. This is something you would to ask the ISP about. See if they have an alternative other then using the wireless since you are seeing problems with it being too close. The router itself is probably geared for wireless connection only.

Trizoy

VIP Member
which router is it?

Try only using the wired connection, disable the wireless. AND update the firmware.

b4oba0

its a D-Link wireless router...when i disable the wireless internet connetion is still there...i'm ganna see if i lose it over time...thanx for ur help so far

Trizoy

VIP Member
its a D-Link wireless router...when i disable the wireless internet connetion is still there...i'm ganna see if i lose it over time...thanx for ur help so far

Well yes, cause you have the ethernet cord cord plugged in.

b4oba0

hey actually...my connection went out last night...and this morning...its whenever i dont use the internet for a long time...its werid...i have a d-link airplus G router...so can someone help me? thanx..

b4oba0

no...i first never actually installed the router...is that necessary? this isnt the main computer...so i didnt think it was necessary to install the router...

PC eye

banned
Other then the host a wireless router works by a wireless conection to the satelite systems sharing the same primary connection. When you mentioned the system being too close to the router itself that sounds as if the system is the host or the host is nearby in the immediate vicinity. The ISP is still the best source for information on a custom setup for hard wiring any system other then the host directly to the router.

b4oba0

ok so...my host computer is actually just a feet away from the current computer...and since they're both close to the router...i decided to connect them both with ethernet cord...anyways...now thats established...i just found out something interesting...you see when my computer loses connection it doesnt really lose the connection...i found that i can only go on certain websites...i found that of all the websites i go to...theres only two...this forum...and another chinese website...this is really bothering me now...because i can't seem to fix this...so if anyone can help me...

PC eye

banned
The fact that you connected both to the router directly is the problem you are seeing. You are cutting the bandwidth plus trying to split the same IP address. It just doesn't work. You would have to configure the same account on two systems and turn one off completely when using the other as the host. You may as well as move the connection back and forth between the two systems there.

b4oba0

but my xbox is also connected directly to the router...why is that not effected? and when i lose connection...my other computer isnt even turned on...its in hibernating mode...

Garyj881

Im almost certain that i know what youre problem is.

Go to start then run and type services.msc, should bring up the services screen.

Now scroll all the way to the bottom and find wireless zero configuration.

Right click it, go to properties then click ok then click stop, once stopped click on start up type and change to disabled.

Gary

b4oba0

can u explain why i need to do this? i've already done it...and thanx but a explaination would be greatly appreciated

Garyj881

can u explain why i need to do this? i've already done it...and thanx but a explaination would be greatly appreciated

From http://paininthetech.com/disable_wireless_zero_configuration_in_windows_xp

If you are running a wireless card on Windows XP and have experienced problems maintaining a connection to your wireless router, I highly recommend that you disable the “Wireless Zero Configuration” service.

The Wireless Zero Configuration service allows your network card to automatically select and connect to preferred networks as they become available. On my home desktop computer with a Gigabyte 802.11g wireless card, I only ever want to be connected to one wireless network and thus have no need for a service that is automatically scanning for different wireless networks. I found that my wireless card would frequently (every 10 minutes or so) drop my wireless connection for just a moment, long enough to kill any connection-oriented applications (like FTP or AIM) and force me to reconnect.

By disabling this service, I noticed a huge improvement in the short “drops” of wireless connectivity. I can now have an active FTP, BitTorrent, or chat session running wirelessly and not worry about it being dropped.

PC eye

banned
You have your X-Box connected as well? You may be having a configuration type of conflict going on there. I did mention splitting the bandwidth down between the two systems. Now you mention having a third but different type of system directly connected to the router. It seems you would be better off simply moving the system away from the router and going back on wireless to see everything working again.