Internet really slow on one computer

vandexa1

For some reason the internet on my PC is extremely slow. I tried using my laptop and my internet TV and they are all fine, it's just my PC that's slow. I'm pretty sure it's not infected with anything. I've first discovered this problem when music ringtone I was downloading a high resolution image and the progress just stopped. I then tried to download other stuff and they all come to a halt after 10 seconds or so

I'm currently using Windows 10. I don't have the AMD Streaming program and I'm using a wired internet connection.

Does anybody knows what's going on? The problem is on my main PC and it made it really hard for me to get anything done on it. Please help.

Last edited:

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
What browser are you using? This would be a good time to scan for malware and also update your network driver.

Please download AdwCleaner by Xplode onto your Desktop.

•Please close all open programs and internet browsers.
•Double click on adwcleaner.exe to run the tool.
•Click on Scan.
•After the scan you will need to click on clean for it to delete the adware.
•Your computer will be rebooted automatically. A text file will open after the restart.
•Please post the content of that logfile in your reply.
•You can find the logfile at C:\AdwCleaner[Sn].txt as well - n is the order number.

Please download Junkware Removal Tool to your desktop.

•Shutdown your antivirus to avoid any conflicts.
•Very important that you run the tool in this manner:
Right-mouse click JRT.exe and select Run as administrator
Do NOT just double-click it.
•The tool will open and start scanning your system.
•Please be patient as this can take a while to complete.
•On completion, a log (JRT.txt) is saved to your desktop and will automatically open.
•Post the contents of JRT.txt in your next message.

Please download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and save it to your desktop.
  • Double-click mbam-setup.exe and follow the prompts to install the program.
  • At the end, be sure a checkmark is placed next to
    • Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
    • and Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  • then click Finish.
  • If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version. Please keep updating until it says you have the latest version.
  • Once the program has loaded, select Perform quick scan, then click Scan.
  • When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.
  • Be sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
  • A log will be saved automatically which you can access by clicking on the Logs tab within Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware

If for some reason Malwarebytes will not install or run please download and run Rkill.scr, Rkill.exe, or Rkill.com. If you are still having issues running rkill then try downloading these renamed versions of the same program.

EXPLORER.EXE
IEXPLORE.EXE
USERINIT.EXE
WINLOGON.EXE

But DO NOT reboot the system and then try installing or running Malwarebytes. If Rkill (which is a black box) appears and then disappears right away or you get a message saying rkill is infected, keep trying to run rkill until it over powers the infection and temporarily kills it. Once a log appears on the screen, you can try running malwarebytes or downloading other programs.

Please post the log that Malwarebytes displays on your screen.

Download OTL to your Desktop

•Double click on the icon to run it. Make sure all other windows are closed and to let it run uninterrupted.
•Click on Minimal Output at the top
•Click the Quick Scan button. Do not change any settings unless otherwise told to do so. The scan wont take long.
◦When the scan completes, it will open two notepad windows. OTL.Txt and Extras.Txt. These are saved in the same location as OTL. Just post the OTL.txt file in your reply.

Then post the logs from the following 4 programs.

1. Adwcleaner
2. Junkware removal tool
3. Malwarebytes
4. OTL

Strange, at first glance I was going to say there could be a problem with your wireless network card, but if your using a wired connection thats fairly bullet proof so its not as likely but there could be an issue with your Network Card, if your using a Network Port on your motherboard then there is a slight chance you onboard Network card has an issue, in which case the simple solution would be to install a new network card, but there are a few checks I would carry out first before investing in new hardware which will help isolate the problem.

First off run a simple network speed test, find out what actual results you are getting on your download speed.

Then if you have a Wireless Network Card in your system try connecting with this instead of your wired LAN, if you find that you get better speeds with your wireless than your wired port then I would be highly pushed over into thinking the problem is your LAN Card and a new Card will solve all your issues.

Failing this isolating the issue, try using a different browser, are your download issues specific linked to when you are using one specific browser, if so then a clean reinstall of the browser your using could be the solution.

If neither of the above tests pin point the issue then turn the the overall health of your system, malware may have sneaked into your system a Virus even maybe, insure your OS is up to date and any Anti Virus software you maybe using, run a full system scan see if this picks up any errors, if you are just using Windows Defender then get a second opinion, I would recommend installing Avira's Free Antivirus program and letting that run a full system scan, assuming your looking for a Free Antivirus solution, first uninstall any other Antivirus programs you maybe running like Avast for example, even if you already have Avira running, try uninstalling the program and do a clean install freshly updated, this way cuts out the possibility of there been an issue with Avira it's self.

Hopefully come this point you should have found the solution but if your still having problems and everything above is telling you your PC should be working fine, then you could be facing a more serious issue, my next line of analysis would be directed at the Hard Drive, if your having issues downloading then its possible the problem is your hard drive is failing to write, run some system tests on your Hard Drive to check for system errors, then unless your using a SSD drive Optimise and Defrag the drive, DON'T optimise or Defrag if you have an SSD drive though, this is a completely pointless exercise to run on a SSD, Windows keeps SSD drive optimised and Defragged automatically, running Optimise or Defrag on a SSD will only serve to shorten the life of the drive, although chances are running these processors on an SSD drive will not cause a complete drive failure you are inviting the very small chance this could happen as a direct result and doing no good to the drives long term survival. Best case when downloading anything online is Never use your System OS (C: drive) as a download location, if you have more than one hard drive in your system then choose a different drive to download all files to always other than your System Drive.

By now 99.9% chance you have cured the issue, but in the 0.1% you still not found the problem then I would personally be on the lines of backing up and doing a complete system Format and Windows Reinstallation, deleting all System Drive partitions along the way in insure the install is clean as a whistle, and then see if your problems are solved before writing off the entire system as a hung of junk for scrap, maybe would see what I could salvage, for then you know your system is dated and maybe in need of a entire new heart, lungs and kidneys, Board, Processor and RAM, throw in a new Hard Drive and Graphics card too, go SSD if you have not already just to be sure that your spec is not the issue, but then without seeing your Spec it's impossible to point to a system upgrade as a solution, but has to be said cos who knows if you are trying to run the latest OS and software on an old dated hardware system and are facing performance issues and failures then upgrading your hardware or downgrading your Software maybe the only way to solve such issues, I know which way I would personally go on that one, and stepping back to Windows 7 would not be the option I personally would choose.

Personally I have 4 Hard Drives, and one of them is purely used as a Download Location nothing else, I dont store Data on the drive I have allocated do downloading, once a download is successfully completed using any source from Torrent to simple downloading via the Browser, then I copy the file over to one of the other storage drives I have available, in fact I don't use the C: Drive for anything other than running the OS and installed applications, this is by far the best way to handle Downloading and File storage, for this way the C: drive is always clean and dedicated to running your software nothing else, so If I am downloading or browsing any files like say watching any form or Media like I video file I have saved, I am not using the resources of my Main System Drive allowing it to keep my PC running at 100% efficiency and given the ridiculous power of the i5 and 32GB of DDR4 Ram I have installed over any Hard Drive you can get your hands on SSD included which my C: drive is, even if running High Res media from both my storage drives simultaneously while downloading 100's of files at once though torrents say to my dedicated download target drive, the bottle neck on the performance of my system's overall performance would still be the Main SSD C: Drive in my system since the power everything else out weight the limitations of the Hard Drive so significantly that I would still have sufficient Processor and RAM power to handle any data transfer sent from the System Drive at the max speed transmission speeds the system drive can physically handle, The final point of this story is anything you can do to free your System Drive from any actions that are not related to running the OS and Applications, is of a massive advantage to your system's performance, this is something to think about if you have only got the one Hard Drive installed in your system, and this drive is been overused for every hard drive related data transmission, from VM should your system lack enough RAM to make VM irrelevant, then topped off with the drive been unoptimised with fragmented data, and you have been running your system like this for months/years, then there is a good chance your Hard Drive maybe past its sell by date and can't take it anymore and be the cause of your problem.

Last edited: