Internet speed on windows 11 laptop vs desktop.

TexasGamer

Well i have a gigabyte aero xe4 laptop running windows 11. Wifi speeds never hit close to my providers speed which is 1gb dl/up, router can handle over the speed cap.

Doing some test with my phone *galaxy s23 ultra in the same place my laptop is and using the same speed app. Phone was way faster then the laptop's 20mbps. However the laptop downloaded a 26gb game update from steam in 30min.

Reason i ask im kicking the idea around of switching to desktop on windows 11, would it get me closer to my speeds, *im switching mainly for performance longevity as i feel having the laptops cooling system running at max fan rpm all the time is hard on it. Gpu temps stay around 68-72* and the keyboard is failing *a hard restart fixes it. So i figure desktop with liquid cooling would be a lot better

Pulled this from google Intel Wi-Fi 6E AX210 (Gig+) Wireless for my laptop wifi.

beers

Staff member
That's about 14.79 MB/sec, or ~120 megabit

I'd do things like isolate the 2.4g band to ensure you aren't connecting over that.

TexasGamer

Ya i can't remember how the router is setup *will update when i get back. Wanna say its smart connect the router is netgear nighthawk rax10. Don't remember if i tried it with that setting off.

Did look up my router specs, and even 600mp on 2.4 is still way better than the laptop.

Even wired it was hardly any better but i was using the laptop's usb hub. Several months ago.

Online gaming and video's does perfect

TexasGamer

Ok so quick update
My router is using smart connect
I have my laptop showing wifi 6, 5ghz with a link speed of 306/103 mbps

Just did a speed test using the same app and connect point. And it hit 127mbps while my s23 ultra hit closer to 300mbps. Both had ping under 20. (Is my laptop calling me a liar because thats way over 20mpbs)

I can kinda live with that but any file or game off steam the dl is quite low

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
How far away are you from the router? You never did mention this. I have 1gb service with Xfinity and get 940 mbps wired download speed and being only 5 feet away from the router my S20 plus gets just over 500 mbps. So if you are say twenty feet or more, you'll get less than 400 mbps. Are you on the latest wifi driver? Take your mbps amount and divide by 8 to actually get your download speed in mb/s.

TexasGamer

Sorry about that, but its roughly 20ft, even when i had it closer months ago still resulted in poor performance. I should be up to date on everything and i have noticed improvement though software updates vs when i got the laptop back in march 2022.

Now that i think about this, i have googled this issue when i got it, and got a lot of articles saying how to fix it *all failed. Even did a factory reset a few times.

It has plenty of bandwidth *kinda of easy when you got 2 phones and a laptop running it.

TexasGamer

I will say my knowledge with networking lacks
All i know is wifi distance effects stability and performance, and higher pings are bad.

I wonder if its really fine and its server based.
Because using steam as a dl speed is roughly 10-20mbps. I have downloaded stuff on my phone either app updates, or download movies from amazon and its pretty quick.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
I would definitely check into the wifi driver. Go into device manager, expand network controllers and right click on the wifi hardware and click on properties, go to the driver tab and screen shot it and post it.

TexasGamer

Well i kinda decided to let it be, it works good enough for my demands still hate the fact its not as quick. But i did check and its on the latest driver update will double check

TexasGamer

Just figured out my speed sucks on steam
So update of 69gb running 21mbps results in 45min at 61gb so used 100mbps got 10min and 1000mpbs 1.01min.

beers

Staff member
I have that wnic in my laptop which is pretty solid, although you seem to have ignored the dedicated 5 ghz suggestion.

I can usually pick up ~1.2 gbit or so over the air via Steam.

TexasGamer

No i set it up for wifi 6 only through the wifi driver no change also did the update which shows correct on driver details but seemed to negatively effect speed speed test was 94mbps and steam was around 13mbps.
But did change it from dual band to 5ghz made the biggest impact

Attachments

• 16997954813734551142061899731177.jpg
    16997954813734551142061899731177.jpg
    901.3 KB · Views: 4

TexasGamer

Ok i just thought of something if my cousin has windows 11 on his desktop next time i go I'll run speed test

But if i remember correctly his hardware while new, isnt the same as mine,

Im hoping i can find a deal on a pre built 4070ti for dirt cheap or high end 30 pre built my reason, besides the laptop im starting to think i got a faluty setup.

Also i found out steam caps download speed based off write speed to the ssd kinda makes sense as those 2 numbers are with in a couple of megabytes but the read/write on mine.

Attachments

• 20231112_073211.jpg
    20231112_073211.jpg
    1,011 KB · Views: 1