Internet Terribly Slow After Reinstalling Windows 7

Nick.D

I got a new computer (but it didn't have a hard drive), so I'm using my old one. I had to reinstall windows 7 so that I could use it, though. Now, for some reason, I can't download anything. My download speed is supposedly around 120 mb/s, but in practice, it definitely isn't. It starts of slow, probably about 1 mb/s, then the download speed keeps dropping until it's endlessly stuck at 0 b/s. I have tried downloading different things on different browsers, chrome and opera, and am unable to download the installers for steam, origin, or even my antivirus.

I tried testing my download speed again, and now it's following that same pattern. Starting of already slow, and dropping down all the way to 0. I'm plugged directly into the router, and have the most expensive internet I can buy--Supposed to get up to 300 mb/s.

Last edited:

Nick.D

Did you install the latest NIC driver?
I went to the device manager, and it says it's up to date--but it's also from 2008. Even if I found a newer one online though, I wouldn't be able to download it. The downloads eventually just completely stop working, getting stuck at 0 b/s.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Go here and do a speed test and post the results.

www.speedtest.net

Can you tell us what system you have or what motherboard you have so we can see if there is an updated driver for the lan port?

Do you have another system to test the speed with?