Internet won

SRcobra

Hi guys,
im having a problem, the internet is says it is connected to the router, it can connect through wireless and wired, but the internet page won't load. i have two other computers connected to the router, one through wired the other through wireless and both work, ive done some research online, but dont seem to be able to find a solution?
Any ideas why it wont connect?:confused:
Cheers

Sach

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
What browser are you using? Internet Explorer? Make sure you aren't working offline, check under the file menu and make sure work offline is not checked.

SRcobra

i normally use,firefox, but its not working on internet explorer, chrome or safari.
ive checked, its not working offline and the computer is connected to the internet. when you click google, it says looking up, then just says done after about 10 seconds with a blank screen.

linkin

VIP Member
maybe you have a virus/trojan. disconnect (unplug) your internet and run a full scan and w/e.

brian

VIP Member
Try going to start, go to run and type cmd. Then type "ping google.com" and see if it comes up with an IP address. It should show something like "pinging google.com [64.233.24.122]"

brian

VIP Member
Sounds like a DNS issue then. I would go into you network connections, right click the wireless/wired connection, click properties, In the window, click Internet protocol (tcp/ip) and hit properties. Next look at the DNS settings, if it is set to automatically obtain the DNS, try changing it to set manual and enter the address 4.2.2.2 into it (thats a public dns server) and see if ping works.

SRcobra

right thanks for that ive done that, but its also asking for a subnet mask, ive left it at 255.0.0.0 and the default gateway as blank.
re-done the ping to google via cmd, still doesn't work.
any other ideas?

-Sach

brian

VIP Member
Oh, sorry, you dont want to put that info into the IP section, you want to put it in the DNS section (below the IP section)

Brett_md

Has this computer worked before? If so, has anything changed with hardware/software between then and now?

Turbo10

Has it switched to offline mode by mistake, try clicking on file and see if 'work offline' has been checked

SRcobra

Yes it has worked before, but it gradually got slower, the green loading bar disappeared and now its stopped working.
its not on work offline mode.

Ive done some research and it could be a google redirect virus, it takes you to search sites which look normal, but are filled with malware.
i've disconnected the internet and done a full scan with mcafee twice, still nothing :confused:

-Sach

Brett_md

Hmmm, could you try a different Ethernet Card? Maybe something has gone bad with the one you are using.

I repeat, hmmm.

Last edited:

SRcobra

update - did a fresh install of the O/S i had to sort it out.
thanks for the suggestions though guys :D
-Sach