Internet Won't Connect

dixieman

I got my girlfriend's computer hooked up to the network using a PC card. It worked for a couple hours. Now, whenever we try to surf the web, it says "connection refused."

What might be the problem??

SlothX311

first off look in the system tray to see if there is a "network cable is unpluged" icon, if not then check both the back of the NIC for the LED's and the network medium device.......if none of these solutions fix the problem, then you know that the problem is probably software related......try dissabling the firewall, if thats not it, depending on what sort of network sharing device your using i.e. switch, router, hub; change the IP settings accordingly....if all else fails...kick it :p

ChinaRosesZ

It could be the network card, those PCI network cards break easily. I think I have replaced about 3 of them around the house.

But yah, before you go and buy a new one, try to install in another working network card, if that one works, you know it's the old network card problem. If not, check the CAT5 cord by either using a different cord, if that's not the case, try to restore the configurations for networking to default. Also, be sure to check your router that the IP of the current computer you were trying to get connected to is not blocked in some sort.

The other usual alternative is to restart the modem and the router.

Let me know if any of these help you.