intigrated aduio vs sound card

diroga

how good are the 5.1 and above intigrated aduio on mobos? is it worth getting a sound card if i'm not running a home theater or doing music recording. i want to listen to music and have ok 3D sound for moderate gaming.

The_Other_One

VIP Member
I think my old Sound Blaster Live sounds better than the sound card that came with my mobo(it's not onboard, but plugs into a propriatary port, looks like a backwards PCIe) I think for the most part you would get better sound from sound cards, but for the most part, onboard sound would be fine. I listen to a good bit of music and I still use the one that came with my mobo. Then again, I like how these driver work MUCH better than the ones for Creative sound cards.

backseatgunner

With a PCI soundcard the quality will be much better than integrated audio and it won't be dependent on your CPU. If you plan on getting a decent set of 5.1 speakers get a decent sound card. You can pick up an Audigy 2 ZS for around $70, which is not bad at all.

definitally a decent pci sound card would be better than the onboard, my card is pushin about 500-600watts to 5.1 surround and it sounds really good on DVD movies:D

The_Other_One said:
large a 500-600 watt amp is?
yea, not all that big , i forgot to say i got a external amp from my card to the speakers, lol , sryy:(
edit: lol, theres no way a card itself could power that:)

Last edited:

mattpower3000

People get confused with wattage its irrevelant, most of your 500 watts or so is probably your subwoofer, you satellites wont take much more than 40w

all 5 of my satillite speakers are 80 watts and the sub is 150 watts..

mattpower3000 said:
for a 500w stero amp e.g two channels you would be looking at a huge system costing $10,000 ++++

riiiite... i only paid lil over 100 for my 600watt receiver

johnnyboyyy409

ON board sound cards suck... I was running my logitec 5.1 speakers from my abit is7 mobo and it sounded horrible... it wasn't running half as loud as with my current sound card and the sub would sound really wierd from time to time. Then agian my new sound card is a soundblaster audigy 2 zs platinum pro, so for $250 it better sound better :)

Oh and my new speakers, Logitech Z-5500 speakers cost me $400 and only have and RMS power of 505 watts and these were the most watt'ed speakers at frys... so a 1000 watt speaker system for $100? Can you tell me were you bought those.... I'll go buy a bunch of them and sell 'em on ebay for thousands

Last edited:
johnnyboyyy409 said:
so a 1000 watt speaker system for $100? Can you tell me were you bought those.... I'll go buy a bunch of them and sell 'em on ebay for thousands

where you refering to me in that??? the reciever is a sony and to be exact it cost 159.99 ... its 5.1 channels and 600w... and where are you guys getting that theses things are worth 10 grand??? i got like a 2000watt rms system in my car thats only worth like 1 grand....

The_Other_One

VIP Member
Car stereo amps usally go for much less than home theater/rack mount amps, and it's quite easy to modify them to work with just a standard 12v DC addaptor ;)

mattpower3000

mattpower3000 said:
for a 500w stero amp e.g two channels you would be looking at a huge system costing $10,000 ++++

Hence why I said stereo amp, a reciever is for watching films not for plyaing music!!! Music is recorded in 2 channels not 5.1, so your 600w sony is basically 70w for 5 sat speakers and a 250w sub.

I am referreing to a 2 channel pre and power amp, running 500w a channel, this would be £10,000+++

I install home cinema systems for professional customers and large home cinema system, you don't have to judge my judgement

mattpower3000

car stereo can't compare to home cinema there are to many compromises that have to be made, 1000w of car power is probably about 70w of continuous home system power, for music at least

lynx6200

No offense or anything, but the sony reciever/amps really are not very good, there just like entry level amps, which is why they pack more power at a cheaper price. Like everyone was saying though, 600 watts really doesnt matter, cause your speakers use less than 100 each, even less for the rear ones, and the sub usualy doesnt use its total capacity.

diroga

i'm getting a new coputer and wnat to know if i should get a sound card. i have an old mad dog mellium prowler 4.1 dsp pci wich is by thier advertising a rival to sound blaster pci 512 and 16. i dont know much about sound cards. like i said i wont be recording high quality music or using it for home theater.

DCIScouts

VIP Member
diroga said:
i'm getting a new coputer and wnat to know if i should get a sound card. i have an old mad dog mellium prowler 4.1 dsp pci wich is by thier advertising a rival to sound blaster pci 512 and 16. i dont know much about sound cards. like i said i wont be recording high quality music or using it for home theater.

In my opinion, sound cards don't improve in quality all that much, at least over the last 5 years or so on the lower end. For instance the card that I bought 4 years ago for about $70 or $75 is going for about $60 or $65. So, the short answer is that it will be an improvement, but not necessarily an improvement worth the money...