IP address conflict?

simbeb

Hi there

I have a home network consisting in 2 laptops connecting to the local network and Internet through a Belkin wireless modem-router. Both PCs are operated with XP. The network is properly set-up and the PCs using automatically assigned IP adresses, share files and printer happily_ that's when they are not fighting to access the local network. Most of the time I can only access the router with one PC at a time. If one is connected, the other one will keep looking for its IP address for ever. It's been like that for as far as I've had 2 PCs at home (14 months) and I've tried every possible solution with no durable success. Please help!

G25r8cer

They shouldnt be fighting as there should be about 5 ip addresses availible. Anyways you should try setting them on static ip's. That would be the right thing to do!

simbeb

[-0MEGA-];949214 said:
Try setting a static IP to one of the systems.

Thanks.
Will setting only one pc to static IP not just prevent the network from running properly? How do I get the ISP's details dns, gateway etc...?)

Geoff

VIP Member
Thanks.
Will setting only one pc to static IP not just prevent the network from running properly? How do I get the ISP's details dns, gateway etc...?)
It won't cause a problem, as long as you select an IP thats not in use. You also don't need any DNS information.

I'm not sure how your network is setup, but if you are using a 192.168.1.x network, then I would use the following information (assuming your router is 192.168.1.1)

IP: 192.168.1.25
Subnet: 255.255.255.0 (Default)
Gateway: 192.168.1.1 (Router's IP)

simbeb

[-0MEGA-];949434 said:
It won't cause a problem, as long as you select an IP thats not in use. You also don't need any DNS information.

I'm not sure how your network is setup, but if you are using a 192.168.1.x network, then I would use the following information (assuming your router is 192.168.1.1)

Cheers for that. Will have a go at that tonight. I tried setting up one PC with a static address but disabled auto DHCP (as I had been advised), now I just can't access my router's interface. I think I'll have to reset it to factory settings and reinstall my network completely. Fun ahead!

cohen

[-0MEGA-];949434 said:

Just like my system at home !!!

i have it so the computers have their own IP with our modem it has 30 IPs it can assign so i have made everything their own IP. So their and no conflicts... there has been a few times that we have had conflicts but have been fixed.

Trizoy

VIP Member
Just check to make sure the IP pool is larger than 2... If you only have 2 devices connected. Also make sure nobody else is using your network and taking all your IP addresses.

simbeb

Thanks you all for your help. Here is what happened: I set up one of th laptops with a fixed IP address outside of the DHCP server's range. Left DHCP enabled on the router and left the other laptop with server assigned IP. It worked brilliantly for about half an hour: we could surf the net simultaneously on the 2 laptops, then mine dropped connection and was no longer able to even find the router.
So should I give a fix IP address to BOTH PCs? What else can I try? I'm loosing hope here...

Geoff

VIP Member
Thanks you all for your help. Here is what happened: I set up one of th laptops with a fixed IP address outside of the DHCP server's range. Left DHCP enabled on the router and left the other laptop with server assigned IP. It worked brilliantly for about half an hour: we could surf the net simultaneously on the 2 laptops, then mine dropped connection and was no longer able to even find the router.
So should I give a fix IP address to BOTH PCs? What else can I try? I'm loosing hope here...
You can try that and see if it works.

cohen

Assign a fix IP address to boths pcs - yes go and do it.... :)

simbeb

Assign a fix IP address to boths pcs - yes go and do it.... :)

Did that, but the result is the same. I even have to shut down one pc and restart the other one to even be able to get to the router's configuration page!
I think I've tried everything now and the router's firmware is up to date. Could the router be faulty in some way, or my ISP put a cap on how many PCs can connect simultaneously?

cohen

Did that, but the result is the same. I even have to shut down one pc and restart the other one to even be able to get to the router's configuration page!
I think I've tried everything now and the router's firmware is up to date. Could the router be faulty in some way, or my ISP put a cap on how many PCs can connect simultaneously?

OK - well i wouldn't have thought it would be your ISP :cool:

Maybe your router has a limit on how many computers can be connected at once.... check the settings....

Geoff

VIP Member
Go to the command prompt and type ipconfig /all on all the PC's when you are having an issue, and make sure that they are not assigned the same IP.

cohen

[-0MEGA-];951050 said:
Go to the command prompt and type ipconfig /all on all the PC's when you are having an issue, and make sure that they are not assigned the same IP.

Yes do that... have done this before to find out info about the network.
Including the schools network :D:D:D:D:D

Buy-it PC

Confirmation!

[-0MEGA-];951050 said:
After reading your threads, I also agree as OMEGA states it. There is also a possibility, depending what type of router it is, but it could also be that as well...

Routers do have issues of not communicating. PING both computers and see if they are in the schema of the IP range: (i.e. 192.168.1.x) and then ping the router from the MS-DOS (Command) prompt. If the router's IP times out, then chances are the communication between them all isn't there and it may be the router.

Basic trouble shooting of networking. PINGING the computer(s) at the CMD prompt easily helps if communication is happening at this point. Once you have confirm they are talking... then we look at the OS (operating system) to see if the problem resides there.

Hope this helps you?!

Let's us know!

SirKenin

banned
[-0MEGA-];949745 said:
You don't need to enter in DNS information if he is connecting to his home router to access the internet.

Yes you do actually. You either need to point it to the router or to external DNS servers. I typically do one of each, setting the router as the primary.