IP addresses

whatsmydingo

I have a webserver set up on my home computer, and when I used to have dial-up internet access people were able to access my server because the modem gave my computer an IP address. Now I am on a high speed internet service, but they don't give me an IP address to identify my computer with. Instead it just gives out 192.168.0.* address, but then only people inside my home network can view the server, which isn't the intention. I would like to know if there is a piece of software that will give my computer a sort of 'fake' IP address so that people could then use to connect to my computer with.

Christopher

VIP Member
That IP address is your private IP address for use within your home network. When you use a router to connect multiple computers together, the router uses this 'local' IP address to identify each machine.

To allow other people to connect to you, you're going to need the IP address you're ISP assigned to you. I'm not sure of the command and I'm still hoping someone will answer this ;) But I always go to What is my ip and it tells you.

If you have more problems, you might have to configure your router to accept incoming traffic.

Thats limited knowlege on the topic, hopefully someone else'll come along and fill us both in on some details :D

whatsmydingo

Chroder said:
That IP address is your private IP address for use within your home network. When you use a router to connect multiple computers together, the router uses this 'local' IP address to identify each machine.

To allow other people to connect to you, you're going to need the IP address you're ISP assigned to you. I'm not sure of the command and I'm still hoping someone will answer this ;) But I always go to What is my ip and it tells you.

If you have more problems, you might have to configure your router to accept incoming traffic.

Thats limited knowlege on the topic, hopefully someone else'll come along and fill us both in on some details :D

The problem is my ISP has me on a dynamic IP address, and when I go to there it just shows a page for "modem control center" or some junk like that. Then the modem starts giving out 192.168.0.* and then the router gives out 192.168.1.* so I never really see an external IP address that I can actually use. The only option that the ISP gives is buy a different plan, but the only difference would be a static IP, but the plan costs an extra $40 per month. It'd be much easier hopefully to just find a software that'll fake me an IP address to use.

Thanks!

zkiller

<b>VIP Member</b>
as crudder said, go to... http://whatismyip.com/ ... and it will tell you what address is assigned to you.

what a lot of people don't realize is that even for broadband connections a lot of ISP's use DHCP, which means that you are assigned the next available IP range within your ISP's range, dynamicly. this in terms is a problem when trying to run a web server, being that it requiers a static IP.

an easy way to get around this problem would be to use a router that supports Dynamic Domain Name System (DDNS).

The DDNS feature lets you assign a fixed domain name to a dynamic Internet IP address. It is useful when you are hosting your own website, FTP server, or other server behind the Router.

i also once used an application called no-ip, which was freeware at the time, but i don't know if it still is, to run an ftp server off of a dial-up connection. it automatically figures out your computers current IP address and configures everything for you. it was quite a handy little tool.

i hope that you find at least some of the information that i gave usefull. good luck! :)

whatsmydingo

ok, so my real problem is that both the dyndns.org IP finder and the no-ip thing find the wrong IP addresses. What they find is the ip for my modem, so if someone goes to my website they'll get the "control center" for my modem, instead of my site. It seems to me what I need is something that will broadcast a sort of fake IP that's just for my computer, and then use one of these softwares to get that.

I tried setting up the ddns on my router, but it never got past "Status: DDNS server currently closed."

zkiller

<b>VIP Member</b>
alright go here... http://www.no-ip.com/downloads.php ...and install the remote automatic update client for your computer.

once you have installed that, open it and check the domains that you want it to automatically update at every logon. now click on options at the bottum and click on the connection tab in the new window that opens. check "override automatic ip detection" and select your internet connection from the drop down box and that should make no-ip work for you! :)

Attachments

• no-ip-1.gif
    no-ip-1.gif
    12.3 KB · Views: 762

whatsmydingo

I do that and it finds 192.168.1.100 from the router. What I need is a program that will make up an IP, not just find the ones I have, because the ones I have are either internal network IPs or only go to the modem, which is not very desirable :p

zkiller

<b>VIP Member</b>
cool, i have the linksys 54G wireless router, but i don't use it for internet being that i have a usb modem. :(

anyways, which service are you using with the router, TZO or DynDNS?

whatsmydingo

Actually, I tried doing that because I already have a DynDNS account, so I put that in there, and I've been having trouble with it, because the router always says it's status is "currently closed." I think the main problem is because the only usable IP addresses I can get right now are internal network type, and I need a sort of external.

zkiller

<b>VIP Member</b>
are you accessing the internet through your router. if so, you either already have a static IP or you are being assigned an IP by your ISP everytime you log on. the reason you can't see it is because the IP is being assigned to your router, which then acts as a gateway to the internet for your local area network. you can't just create an IP that will be seen on wide area network, which is what the internet is. unfortunately it does not work like that. have you contacted DynDNS about this problem?

whatsmydingo

When I scoped out the situation, it looks like they can't do much, but they talked about port forwarding in my router. So with that I emailed the ISP about if there's a port I can use on the modem. It's kind of disappointing... back when I used the dialup modem it worked fine, and now I'm on a satelite thing and I thought it'd be great and this problem comes along...

whatsmydingo

OK so I finally decided that this is way too much work, and I found a site that offers hosting for $7! But now I have a different problem, they don't have perl modules that I need installed, and I thought this is the webmaster forum, so I'd ask here. Is there a way to install a perl module that I need over on remote server?

Christopher

VIP Member
Most hosts should glady install the modules you need, if not then you should really consider if you found a good host or not.

zkiller

<b>VIP Member</b>
what kind of satelite connection do you have? most of them have great downstream speeds, but aren't to great when it comes to upstream, because that part is still run through a 56k modem. there for they aren't very good for hosting purposes.

which host are you thinking of going with? i hear powweb.com is really good for 7,77 a month. don't just go with some random cheap hosting company, do your research first and then decide. there are a lot of fraudulent ones out there. check out www.hostforums.com for some good advice on hosting.

whatsmydingo

Direcway dw6000. Everything runs through the satelite in it, and when I've uploaded things to friends it's done it at about 30KBps.

The host I'm looking at it Nureal.com. It costs 6.95/month, and looks fairly nice. It was recommended by my friend who's a huge computer geek. He likes it, and he even game me a temp. account at his site to test it out, and I think I like it. Hopefully what I can do is use my DynDNS domain name instead of having to buy a domain...