IP addresses

zkiller

<b>VIP Member</b>
so you got the good satelite connection then! *thumbsup*

also, good luck with your web site project(s)!!! :)

whatsmydingo

I already have 3 different sites done. :D
There's a flash movie theatre, it's pretty nifty. Well, I like the programming behind it. All the movies I borrowed from other sites or people, but the page itself is of my own creation. Then I have a little fund raiser thing, but it's just a joke. The finally I have my own little aim-profile site. I never thought I'd make something like that, but whenever I viewed my friend's little budy profiles, all these stupid pop-up ads would come up. Then later they'd be like view my site and I'd say NO, obviously getting them a little upset with me. So I made my own, that does most of the same things as the others, but without the annoying popup ads. Quite a fun little summer project. Only took me half hour to "perfect."

zkiller

<b>VIP Member</b>
sounds good! just make sure you have the permission of all the people whom you borrowed movies from. wouldn't want to see you get in trouble over something so stupid.

whatsmydingo

I'll have to post a link or something when I get it up. I'd also take suggestions or whatnot on things to do, since I don't have the greatest creativity to just think of site to make. Any suggestions for new sites would be appreciated, or ideas to improve old ones. I don't know about making sites for people though... it's been suggested to me before, but I didn't really like the idea. I like perl and I like money, but I don't really like the idea of getting paid to do it. It's just a fun hobby that I'd rather do for free =Þ.

If anyone with enough free time wants to help with graphics... that'd be cool too... because I really suck at graphics. =D

whatsmydingo

nope, I got the $7/month hosting at neureal.com. I'm happy though that my site is back up. now I just have to come up with ideas for more stuff to put in it.

guarama

No-IP

NO-IP.com still exist, they have free options and commercial upgrades. Is great with ftp servers and I use it with my router connection.

guarama

zkiller said:
as crudder said, go to... http://whatismyip.com/ ... and it will tell you what address is assigned to you.

what a lot of people don't realize is that even for broadband connections a lot of ISP's use DHCP, which means that you are assigned the next available IP range within your ISP's range, dynamicly. this in terms is a problem when trying to run a web server, being that it requiers a static IP.

an easy way to get around this problem would be to use a router that supports Dynamic Domain Name System (DDNS).

The DDNS feature lets you assign a fixed domain name to a dynamic Internet IP address. It is useful when you are hosting your own website, FTP server, or other server behind the Router.

i also once used an application called no-ip, which was freeware at the time, but i don't know if it still is, to run an ftp server off of a dial-up connection. it automatically figures out your computers current IP address and configures everything for you. it was quite a handy little tool.

i hope that you find at least some of the information that i gave usefull. good luck! :)