IP Camera Setup Problems (Airport Extreme)

iKokomo

Ok, we have a weird situation where we live. The internet comes into the main building and then we all have our routers (I have Airport Extreme) and we connect into that internet. I do have the main IP address (found via online search) for the entire complex.

*Edit - The router says it is in Double NAT mode

Now when I try to hook up my IP camera I followed all the directions for NAT port forwarding but when I look at my IP address under in Airport utility under the IPv4 it gives me a local internal 10.0.??? not my external IP address.

No matter what I do, I can't open the correct ports so I can see my camera when disconnected from my home router.

How can I fix this?

Thanks
happy.png

Last edited:

beers

Staff member
What does the main building use to give you Internet? If they only give you a 10. address then you would also need to port forward on that upstream router that you don't own, which isn't likely.

AdmnPower

VIP Member
What does the main building use to give you Internet? If they only give you a 10. address then you would also need to port forward on that upstream router that you don't own, which isn't likely.

I agree, it sounds like they aren't giving you a publicly routable IP address which is usually the case when one internet connection is being shared to a number of different people in one building. I'd contact who ever provides the service and see if they can forward a block of ports to you so you can have more ports to use for other things in the future. It'll be a little bit tricky to forward the traffic from one port to a different one but that's what I'd recommend.

An example of what I mean would be, you ask them to give you ports 5000 - 5050. If your camera has web based access it probably operates on port 80 or 443. So what you'd do is on your router specify anything coming in on port 5000 gets translated to port 80 at the IP address of your camera. Then when you access remotely you'll just need to put in your public IP:5000.