IP jungle installing wifi relay board

Tur

I am out of my depth and getting very exasperated trying to set up a wifi relay input/output module board (http://www.denkovi.com/Documents/DAEnetIP3/Current-Version/DAEnetIP3_UM.pdf).

This is making me dizzy:

Win IP number
Eth IP address
Access IP
Remote server IP and remote port
Local port range
User socket port
NTP server IP and remote port
HTTP port
Email server email IP and port
Not to mention masks and passwords etc.

I have tried different approaches, following the instructions as best as I could without understanding all the terms. I've tried a bit of trial and error and being methodical but I just get stumped and irritated by the guys who invented all this!

I've managed so far:
Reset to default many times.
Being able to open the admin setup menu having changed the local IP number on my PC and connecting by cable.
Getting the unit to register on my wifi net, orange LED goes from a rapid blink to stable on the unit and is registered as a device albeit inactive on my wifi modem.

I haven't managed:
To make a wifi link up to my PC either by local IP number or internet IP number with port, having made a port forward.

Somehow it seems to be the port and making the port forwarding that is the problem since this is where I lose it. I have tried a number of combinations based on HTTP port being THE port but nothing works. On another device I solved a problem in that the third number in the IP address had to match so I've made sure to change the default "0" in 192.168.0.100 to a 1: 192.168.1.100 though it beats me with the apparently two different local IP addresses one for wifi and one for cable.

If there is anyone out there who has a head for all this and can help it would be very much appreciated. I have a few screenshots I´ll try and post.

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
What a wonderful manual :rolleyes:

So what I've got out of it so far:
Win IP - IP address of the wireless interface (i.e. what your router should see)
Win Mask - Likely 255.255.255.0 but it's dependent on what your routers set to dish out.
Win Default Gateway - Should be your router's IP
Region is for channel control
Security Mode - set to whatever wireless security you are using - note if you are using WPA1/2 the device will appear to lock up for 2 minutes while it calculates the preshared key
SSID - found on your router
Key - enter the wireless key

Eth IP would need to be set if you are connecting via Ethernet or chaining 2 modules together.

NTP - address of the NTP server you are using (I use 0.pool.ntp.org but this device looks to need an IP. if clock drift doesn't matter to you, you can likely ignore it)
NTP port is usually 123 (UDP if it matters)

Access IP is only mentioned once in the manual, and that's in the default config. I assume it's the IP bound to the webserver but I don't know. Maybe it's the IP you can connect from, in which case leaving it 0.0.0.0 disables it.

I assume if you enable web management you should be able to enter the Win IP you've assigned and manage it remotely over the web interface once that part of the setup is done.

Tur

Thanks for the response.

I've actually made some progress with the trial by error method. I have managed to connect my one PC, the one I used to setup, and mobile using the internet IP and port 171 as http port. I haven't managed to get my app to work though, it gives an error message: "IP3 Communications errors D10 - java.net.SocketTimeoutException (-10)". This is different from if the relay board is off so something is getting through. The -10 is seconds trying. Socket I'm thinking must have to do with the "User socket port" described as "the port which is defined for user socket access" and having a default value of 1010 and which I haven't changed. This port is forwarded along with all the others in the range 1005 - 1010. This port cannot be set in the app. only the user port which is 171. Curious it works with the PC program but not with the mobile app.

I spent all day yesterday messing around trying to get it to work and getting so close, I have to get over this last hurdle....

Tur

This could have been me getting desperat four years ago when I finally managed to get it up and working. I have no had to replace our router and here I am again not being able to remember much. I do remember though having the same issue with the third number in the IP address having to match. This time I'm stuck here: "Being able to open the admin setup menu having changed the local IP number on my PC and connecting by cable". Its not enough with an internal and an external IP number now there's WiFi, LAN-forbindelse* 4, LAN-forbindelse* 2, Ethernet, Bluetooth-netværksforbindelse, and god help me a Loopback Pseudo-Interface 1 IP numbers! I've tried changing the Ethernet and LAN IP numbers after finding out about admin rights, but no luck.

Any help would be welcome.

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
Where are you seeing all these interfaces? Your router or the wifi board again?

And, don't worry about the loopback interface.