iPhone 4S

1337dingo

ok so instead of iphone 5 they announced the 4s... umm ok yeah was looking at the prices $999 for 64 Gb model ummm no way. then i saw the US dollar price $399.. anyone wanna explain that to me?

=EDIT= so yes this is a thread about us prices and aus prices not pacifically the iphone

jonnyp11

cuz everyone knows the us is the best, and + isn't apple based in cali, but for aus they gotta ship it and all and go threw ur dang government and their darn regulations and censorship and all.

Motorcharge

Apple products are made in China, not the US. They do make sure they put that their products are designed in the US so it seems like they're made here though.

As for the price difference, it's not like it seems. It's so much cheaper here because phone carriers make you sign a 2 year contract and they absorb most the cost when you sign the contract. If you have to buy one outright it's a similar price.

CrazyMike

ok so instead of iphone 5 they announced the 4s... umm ok yeah was looking at the prices $999 for 64 Gb model ummm no way. then i saw the US dollar price $399.. anyone wanna explain that to me?

=EDIT= so yes this is a thread about us prices and aus prices not pacifically the iphone

Maybe it is just me, but the $999 seems fishy. I would suggest that pricing hasn't been varified yet. Where are you looking for prices? i would check back with them in a few days. I have seen sites set prices that are unknown to weird numbers as such.

If it is the true price, man you get screwed! (highly doubt it is though)

Motorcharge

Maybe it is just me, but the $999 seems fishy. I would suggest that pricing hasn't been varified yet. Where are you looking for prices? i would check back with them in a few days. I have seen sites set prices that are unknown to weird numbers as such.

If it is the true price, man you get screwed! (highly doubt it is though)

Nah, retail price on the 4 32gb is $749.99. $299 with 3 year contract (Verizon) with a $350 early termination fee.

CrazyMike

Nah, retail price on the 4 32gb is $749.99. $299 with 3 year contract (Verizon) with a $350 early termination fee.

I thought he was talking about the 4S ... not the 4?

Do you know if there is a video for the meeting? i never actually got to watch it, so all i have are articles. Which a person cannot really go buy, look what happened "Apple expected to unveil new Iphone 5 on October 4 meeting" .
I would like to watch it to see what was all said.

Motorcharge

You're asking the wrong person on specifics for Apple products. Bunch of overpriced crap.

unled1qo.jpg

Laquer Head

Samsung Galaxy S2 already has all the 4S "upgrades". What is the big deal and hype for this "new" phone?

speedyink

VIP Member
Not a fan of the Siri feature, what self respecting person talks to their phone? The only time I ever talk to mine is when I text someone while i'm driving, which rarely happens anyways.

Wait...I reeeallly hope this doesn't start a wave of people randomly whipping out there phones and talking to them as if it was a person..

Last edited:

Geoff

VIP Member
Siri is just a gimmick, Android has had speech to text/action for a while, but not many people use it. Whenever I used it I found myself having to check and occasionally correct it when it mishears the persons name I say, or what I want it to spell out as a text, so it actually took longer then texting one letter a time.

mihir

VIP Member
Even I do not think the personal assistant will be used by anyone.
Since we have had the voice command dialing for a long time and no body uses that since it is not so accurate so how can they use voice commands for more advanced and important stuff.
I like the iCloud integration.That is one thing I would love.

Troncoso

VIP Member
Samsung Galaxy S2 already has all the 4S "upgrades". What is the big deal and hype for this "new" phone?

There was literally no hype for this phone. All the hype is for the iphone 5.
The 4s seems like bs. I mean really, there is not enough difference for them to have actually released another phone. I mean dang. People are just gonna eat this up and when the iphone 5 actually comes out no one will get it because they are have a contract on their 4s.

CrazyMike

The only thing i would like about the Iphone 4S is the new processor (in which is nothing special, but still better then the one i have in my Iphone 4 at the moment) and IOS 5 (in which i can just upgrade my Iphone 4 to when it is released, but won't do until jailbreak is available).

The Iphone 4S is a joke and shows that Apple needs to give their head a shake. It was no surpise that they didn't put any inovation into a new Iphone. As you take a look at the last year Apple has been dealing with many lawsuits and patent controlling. This has affected the release date of Lion X and IOS 5. This shows that they have not had the time to concentrate on new developement.

Because i live in a country that restricts which Carrier you can go with and which phones are availiable, the best phone i can get is the Iphone. Would love to get my hands on Motorola Droid Bionic, they don't work on our frequencies. Not to mention the big price tag that comes with the phones up here. Have to sign a 3 year contract in order to afford the phone, in which your plan usually doesn't run less then $80 for phone and data (in which your restricted to the nuts on how much data your allowed to use). Canada sucked for moblicity, BUT we have free health care :)

apj101

VIP Member
[-0MEGA-];1686903 said:
Siri is just a gimmick, Android has had speech to text/action for a while, but not many people use it. Whenever I used it I found myself having to check and occasionally correct it when it mishears the persons name I say, or what I want it to spell out as a text, so it actually took longer then texting one letter a time.

I'm amazed by how far behind voice recognition has lagged. It promised so much but has been so slow to deliver. It remains to be seen how reliable Siri is, i suspect its a lot more reliable than you think
Also i suspect it will be used a LOT more widely than you think to. People said the iPad was useless and served no purpose...tons of site/folk said that and its been nothing but a complete success as a product
Hell, even text messaging itself as a concept was completely slatted when it was first released.
I think you will be very surprised how well siri will be used and received... amusing it works of course :)

mihir

VIP Member
I'm amazed by how far behind voice recognition has lagged. It promised so much but has been so slow to deliver. It remains to be seen how reliable Siri is, i suspect its a lot more reliable than you think
Also i suspect it will be used a LOT more widely than you think to. People said the iPad was useless and served no purpose...tons of site/folk said that and its been nothing but a complete success as a product
Hell, even text messaging itself as a concept was completely slatted when it was first released.
I think you will be very surprised how well siri will be used and received... amusing it works of course :)

It might work in english speaking countries, since the voice command never seemed to work for me or any of my acquaintances.
And also I do not think it will be as accurate as they show it in the demo, it even won't be half of that, and at the end you will have to pick up the phone and check what it has typed.
I cannot imagine the mistakes the voice messaging will make when we all have seen apple's glorious auto-correct :rolleyes:.
As in my post above I mentioned most of us do not use the voice command dial only since it is not at all accurate and it is way easier just to type in the name and dial, then how can we use voice commands for stuff more complicated than dialing.

apj101

VIP Member
It might work in english speaking countries, since the voice command never seemed to work for me or any of my acquaintances.
And also I do not think it will be as accurate as they show it in the demo, it even won't be half of that, and at the end you will have to pick up the phone and check what it has typed.
I cannot imagine the mistakes the voice messaging will make when we all have seen apple's glorious auto-correct :rolleyes:.
As in my post above I mentioned most of us do not use the voice command dial only since it is not at all accurate and it is way easier just to type in the name and dial, then how can we use voice commands for stuff more complicated than dialing.
well we have to start with the assumption that it works :) if it doesn't..then you are a correct.
but the reason we never use it for command dialer is that is one area where is has no use, since you have the phone in your hand anyway and its only 1-2 key strokes. I can totally see a need for something like...."tell me what 4lbs is in grams". You just have to use your imagination.
i really think, assuming it works and works very well, there are a lot of uses. Hopefully its just the first step into this area!!