iPhone 6 Predictions

G80FTW

It seems kind of crazy to go with another Samsung after the issues you had with your S3? Personally I prefer to not go with Samasung if possible, since I have yet to see a properly functioning USB port on even a 8 motnth old Samsung.

The USB port on my almost 3 year old S2 works perfectly fine. Its just the power button that has a mind of its own.

Geoff

VIP Member
Lol so I take it you won't get it Geoff.
Haha yeah, I decided against it ;)

My GS3 will very rarely do that but I can never make it do it, just happens sometimes when I unlock it sideways.
Most OEM's don't support it, but if you use a custom launcher like Nova they support it, and so much more.

The USB port on my almost 3 year old S2 works perfectly fine. Its just the power button that has a mind of its own.
Plus that's why wireless charging is great on newer flagships.

Darren

Staff member
Jason that's all well and good but your app support on Windows is crap right now. If it wasn't for that I might consider one.

Yeah Geoff I'm not sure why it does it it very rarely will go sideways and rotate everything. It kinda freaks it out when it does it too.

Geoff

VIP Member
What annoys me about Windows Phone is that many apps are not official apps. Instagram and Snapchat are two big ones where they have no official app, just a ton of third party apps that are trying to duplicate the functionality and each one is missing something.

I'm sure it has enough apps for anyone who is starting out to enjoy their phone, but from an Android or iOS user, many apps are not available yet.

PCunicorn

Actually Windows Phone has Instagram now. Snapchat, I'm not sure (and really don't care). Windows Phone has all the apps most people need. Teenage girls couldn't live with it since it doesn't get a lot of the trend apps like Candy Crush Saga, Snapchat, etc., and of course there are some people who absolutely need a certain app that's only on Android iOS, but that's pretty rare.

Anyways, something that bothers me is that Apple is stuck on contracts. All the iPhones cost a fortune off contract (including the 5C, even though it's a lower end phone). Wait until 2016, Apple is going to be selling their phones off contract for a decent price and market it as revolutionary (even though it's going to be 2 years after every other company did it :p).

Last edited:

G80FTW

Haha yeah, I decided against it ;)

Most OEM's don't support it, but if you use a custom launcher like Nova they support it, and so much more.

Plus that's why wireless charging is great on newer flagships.

I had wireless charging in 2009 with my palm pixi....shame it didnt catch on unil now.

$649 for the ipad 6 16gb model. Another $100 for the 5.5" model. Another couple hundred more than my lg g3 was off contract. I would try one off contract but cannot handle a few hundred after taking the hit on the g3.

Apple needs to lower their prices but that will never happen. My 2011 Macbook is great but I bought it off a friend for $400. Could never handle full price for it.

Geoff

VIP Member
Actually Windows Phone has Instagram now. Snapchat, I'm not sure (and really don't care). Windows Phone has all the apps most people need. Teenage girls couldn't live with it since it doesn't get a lot of the trend apps like Candy Crush Saga, Snapchat, etc., and of course there are some people who absolutely need a certain app that's only on Android iOS, but that's pretty rare.

Anyways, something that bothers me is that Apple is stuck on contracts. All the iPhones cost a fortune off contract (including the 5C, even though it's a lower end phone). Wait until 2016, Apple is going to be selling their phones off contract for a decent price and market it as revolutionary (even though it's going to be 2 years after every other company did it :p).
Teenage girls aren't the only ones with snapchat. Instagram Beta is out, but it's no where near as polished or complete as Instagram on Android or iOS. I compared the stores to see how many of my apps were on Windows Phone, and many of the utilities and social apps I use (snapchat, kik, google voice, hangouts, google+, etc.) weren't there, I don't think Facebook even had their messenger app on there, but I could be mistaken. I couldn't find my wireless analyzer apps, cellular coverage mapping programs, gmail, google maps, chrome, etc. either. Windows Phone is missing a lot.

$649 for the ipad 6 16gb model. Another $100 for the 5.5" model. Another couple hundred more than my lg g3 was off contract. I would try one off contract but cannot handle a few hundred after taking the hit on the g3.

Apple needs to lower their prices but that will never happen. My 2011 Macbook is great but I bought it off a friend for $400. Could never handle full price for it.
I have the G3 as well and it's the best Android phone out IMO. It was $599 off contract for the 32GB variant, Apple really does need to lower their price.

spirit

Staff member
Jason that's all well and good but your app support on Windows is crap right now. If it wasn't for that I might consider one.

That is very true and I will admit that currently WP has nowhere near the amount of apps that Android and iOS have, BUT most of your 'main apps' (FB, Twitter etc etc) are there AND I can see that there are vastly more apps on 8.1 than there ever were on 7.8, so support is growing.

Geoff is also right about some of the apps not being official and there not being a choice of web browsers but again more and more people are starting to support WP. It's not had the initial interest that Android and iOS had (partly because WP was a bit of a 'latecomer') but support is growing. For the record, mobile IE is definitly not a bad browser at all. I use Chrome on my PCs but on my phones I am happy with the mobile IE. It displays pages. It runs Flash. It does what I need it to do. :cool:

But honestly, at the end of the day if you are crazy about apps then WP probably isn't for you.

For me at least, it's a small price to pay when my hardware is good, my battery lasts for days, the OS is elegant, feels snappy and responsive and runs flawlessly even years after the initial setup (and is even customisable to some extent) and the phones are relatively inexpensive to buy. All of the apps I need are on it and I like the hardware and software, so guess what? I will continue to buy them! :cool:

Last edited:

Geoff

VIP Member
WP, or should I just say Windows now, is a great phone, it's just in it's infancy. iOS and Android have had since around 2007 until now to improve, where as Windows has only had a couple years. I love the hardware of Nokia's, the interface is fine, it just needs some polish and a more robust market.

spirit

Staff member
WP, or should I just say Windows now, is a great phone, it's just in it's infancy. iOS and Android have had since around 2007 until now to improve, where as Windows has only had a couple years. I love the hardware of Nokia's, the interface is fine, it just needs some polish and a more robust market.

Exactly... it is in its infancy. Android and iOS were already 2 or 3 years old when WP7 hit the market. This is why the app support is lacking on WP (it doesn't take a genius to figure that out). You could get Windows Mobile long before Android and iOS but it was a completely different beast - more like a 'pocket PC' OS than a smartphone OS of course.

HTC (and apparently Lenovo) are getting into the WP market, so there are going to be some alternatives to Nokias.

I'm quite interested in the Lumia 830. I'm going to see how much it costs when it is released and I might buy one. Would easily be able to use it for a few years. :)

Last edited:

Geoff

VIP Member
Exactly... it is in its infancy. Android and iOS were already 2 or 3 years old when WP7 hit the market. This is why the app support is lacking on WP (it doesn't take a genius to figure that out). You could get Windows Mobile long before Android and iOS but it was a completely different beast - more like a 'pocket PC' OS than a smartphone OS of course.

HTC (and apparently Lenovo) are getting into the WP market, so there are going to be some alternatives to Nokias.

I'm quite interested in the Lumia 830. I'm going to see how much it costs when it is released and I might buy one. Would easily be able to use it for a few years. :)
What do you think about Microsoft dropping the "Phone" from Windows Phone, just calling it Windows, and also dropping the Nokia brand? Those are the rumors I've been hearing.

spirit

Staff member
What do you think about Microsoft dropping the "Phone" from Windows Phone, just calling it Windows, and also dropping the Nokia brand? Those are the rumors I've been hearing.

As soon as I heard that they acquired Nokia and then laid off 18,000(?) of Nokia's employees I knew that the Nokia branding would be dropped. I think everybody did. It kind of makes sense I guess. Reminds me a little of how when Lenovo acquired the IBM personal computer brand in 2004 they kept the 'IBM' branding on the products for a few years and then eventually the IBM branding was dropped in favour of Lenovo branding. I wonder if they'll do the same with Motorola? Lenovo already make smartphones after all.

It sort of makes sense dropping the Windows Phone naming and replacing it with 'Windows' too. Back when Windows Phone 7 was released it was so different to Windows 7 that the 'Windows Phone' name made sense. But now Windows Phone 8.1 is so similar to Windows 8.1 that it makes sense just to refer to it as 'Windows'. They even have the same bootscreen now!

To quote Adobe: 'multiple disciplines are becoming one discipline' holds true here...

PCunicorn

These "Nokia's" haven't been Nokia's ever since MS bought them. They've been Microsoft's. So dropping the Nokia is what should happen.

Oh and don't forget, Nokia isn't dead. They're most certainly alive and with a boatload of cash (or maybe not, but at the very least all their debt is paid off). They can make phones again in a little less then 2 years IIRC. They won't be able to call them Lumias, and they lost a bunch of patents to MS though.

spirit

Staff member
These "Nokia's" haven't been Nokia's ever since MS bought them. They've been Microsoft's. So dropping the Nokia is what should happen.

Oh and don't forget, Nokia isn't dead. They're most certainly alive and with a boatload of cash (or maybe not, but at the very least all their debt is paid off). They can make phones again in a little less then 2 years IIRC. They won't be able to call them Lumias, and they lost a bunch of patents to MS though.

So long as Microsoft stick to the same or similar hardware design that Nokia was using, I don't really care what name it has on it. :)

Having used Surfaces a lot recently (obviously made by Microsoft) I think it's pretty fair to say that the build quality is excellent and therefore I hope the build quality of the Lumias continues to remain that way.

But I hope that they don't hike the prices up. I feel that the Surface RT is overpriced for what it is and whilst the Surface Pro 3 is a gorgeous piece of technology, it is very expensive.

Last edited: