Is 2 ½ hours for Win10 update excessive?

johnnyb58

So the latest Win 10 update took over 2 ½ hrs long to install and I don’t have any idea how long it took to download. I don’t remember for sure, but I believe the original Win10 upgrade from Win7 was less than this.

Anyway I’m a little worried that something might be wrong with the update although it appears to be working OK.

_Pete_

It was probably the Creators Fall update. I got that yesterday on one of my computers the other two have still to get it. The computer that got it was a slowish desktop and it took well over 2 hours to download and install. It's virtually a complete rewrite and it put all the Microsoft crap back that I removed from the older version.

Darren

Staff member
It was probably the Creators Fall update. I got that yesterday on one of my computers the other two have still to get it. The computer that got it was a slowish desktop and it took well over 2 hours to download and install. It's virtually a complete rewrite and it put all the Microsoft crap back that I removed from the older version.
This is correct. Every major update like the FCU, the Anniversary update, etc are actual reinstallations of the whole OS. That's why they take so long and why they frequently have issues since they're trying to do it in the background and preserve all of your data and programs.