Is 64 GB big enough for a USB flash drive I will be using to store 1080p movies?

PT99

If you go completely lossless then yes they can be that large. However you can get 1080P files that are anywhere from 1GB-21GB.
So a 1-2 GB compressed 1080p file can have just as good of picture quality as a Blu-Ray? If no how big is the difference?

beers

Staff member
So a 1-2 GB compressed 1080p file can have just as good of picture quality as a Blu-Ray? If no how big is the difference?
I don't think he said anything remotely close to that...

There's a fairly large quality difference between those. The reason smaller files are smaller is because you essentially delete parts of the picture to decrease file size..

You will notice a huge difference between even a 6-8 gb rip and one that is 12-16 gb

PT99

I don't think he said anything remotely close to that...

There's a fairly large quality difference between those. The reason smaller files are smaller is because you essentially delete parts of the picture to decrease file size..

You will notice a huge difference between even a 6-8 gb rip and one that is 12-16 gb
Damn, gotcha. So I need to stick with Blu-Rays. I seriously hope when Blu-Rays and physical media become obsolete that digital and streaming media keep the same file size/quality as BluRay and doesn't compress it.

Geoff

VIP Member
Damn, gotcha. So I need to stick with Blu-Rays. I seriously hope when Blu-Rays and physical media become obsolete that digital and streaming media keep the same file size/quality as BluRay and doesn't compress it.
They won't. Streaming a 25GB video over the course of 1.5-2 hours is just not efficient, at least today.

Geoff

VIP Member
Boo, 25 GB over two hours is only around 3.5 MB/sec :p
That's only about 30 mbit..
Average broadband speeds in the U.S. is ~12Mbps. Not to mention the ISP's and content providers would need some serious improvements to stream content at such a high bitrate to all their users.

When streaming, providers will use the slowest bitrate and file sizes possible while maintaining adequate quality.

beers

Staff member
Average broadband speeds in the U.S. is ~12Mbps. Not to mention the ISP's and content providers would need some serious improvements to stream content at such a high bitrate to all their users.

When streaming, providers will use the slowest bitrate and file sizes possible while maintaining adequate quality.

Agreed on the aggregate on the head end, although Netflix recommends 25+ mbit for their ultra HD stream, which is around that ballpark :p

The current average I imagine would rapidly increase as bandwidth availability is becoming a lot higher in the last year or so.