Is 650w enough power?

ScOuT

VIP Member
Hey guys I need some advice....I have done many wattage calculators for my system and I don't think my PSU is supporting it all. The calculators all tell me that I need between 420w and 500w.

I had my BFG GTX 260 die after 3 days. A BFG tech said my PSU is the problem. So I called Antec, the Antec tech said it "should be fine" and does not think it's the problem. I have an Antec 650w Neo Power with 19 amps on the 12v rail.

When I would turn my computer on the fans would start slow...kinda weird slow. It would take about 4 or 5 seconds for the fans to reach full speed. Here is what I have all hooked up:

24 pin Main power
4 pin CPU power with a Q9300 at stock speed
92mm CPU cooler
2x WD 7200 RPM
2x Thermaltake fan controllers
6x Sycthe 120mm fans, 133 CFM high performance
Sony CD/DVD drive
SBA sound card
12" Cold cathode
4 USB devices (Keyboard, Mouse, External, Printer)
4 x 1GB RAM
GTX 260

Everything worked fine with my Evga 9800 GTX. I installed the 260 and added 3 more fans and it kept crashing and became very unstable. I pulled the 260 out and dropped in a 7900GT and everything worked fine all of the sudden. I returned the card to BFG for a refund and I have a Evga GTX 260 Core 216 in the mail.

I am scared to hook up the new card in fears of destroying that one also. It should be here any day now.

Would you recommend a PSU upgrade before installing the new card? If so what would you get?

I think that 650 Watts is more than enough but your issues sound wierd so I think it's amps that your PSU is giving you trouble. And even you if you did feel like upgrading your current to psu to a new one, I need to know connections you have going right now because I can't list anything without your munber of cenntions for fans and fan controllers and what-not in your system. If you can give those I will make some reccomendations. Do have a price limit for the PSU?