Is 8 ms to much for gaming?

mAJORgAMER

I plan to buy a new widescreen monitor but they all have 8 ms in response time. So im asking you ppl do you think it is good whit game like FPS? Also i will plug my Xbox 360 on it so it will have some slower game too.

Arm_Pit

banned
I would personally go for anything less then 8MS, even 6ms should be fine, I can tell the difference from 8 and 5, but others disagree. I would go for anything less then 8 and it should be fine. If your going to be buying a monitor, your porbally going to have it for years so you may as well put a little more into it.

Last edited:

bebopin64

8 ms monitors can refresh at 125 fps. you cant tell the difference between 125 fps and faster. most games wont even run at 125 fps.

koOp

i wouldnt get a 8ms widescreen my friend has a 8ms 17inch lcd monitor and his one lags. i would try to get one below 8ms

ckfordy

banned
koOp said:
i wouldnt get a 8ms widescreen my friend has a 8ms 17inch lcd monitor and his one lags. i would try to get one below 8ms

I have a 16ms widescreen and it doesnt lag at all so i dont know why you would need anything less.

matt12685848

bebopin64 said:
8 ms monitors can refresh at 125 fps. you cant tell the difference between 125 fps and faster. most games wont even run at 125 fps.
The refresh rate has nothing to do with the response time.

fade2green514

8ms or less should be just fine... either way get a deal on the monitor you choose. i've got an 8ms, serves me just fine.

TheChef

bebopin64 said:

But you just showed us an article that correctly said that LCDs don't have to refresh... you proved yourself wrong...:confused:

TheChef

I see where you could get from it that the 8ms response time is also the refresh rate, just some mixed up jargon. Just for future reference, refresh rate is not the same as response time. For the purposes of the article they're using them interchangably.

And although an 8 ms LCD can theoretically "refresh" at 125fps, it doesn't nor does the computer allow it.

The 8ms is how long it takes the crystals to react from the signal, not how many times the monitor refreshes its own image.

We were both right in a sense, sorry if I sounded a tad short with you:).

TheChef