Is a dedicated video (graphics?) card necessary for video editing?

Massios

Probably, considering it is a newer computer (Hopefully)

Give us the specs/name of that computers Motherboard.

konzerte

I'm getting either

an Asus one http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131226&Tpk=asus+p5smx-se

or an Intel one
http://www.intel.com/products/motherboard/D945GCCR/index.htm

so what do you think?:eek: Is video editing graphics card intensive?

yes!! for video editing you only need A LOT of ram memory and a good CPU. after effects for example is a ram eater program

high end video cards are mainly for new games and 3d render programs..

for video editing you also need a good sata2 hard drive with good capacity, i would say 160gb at least

hyPoxxx.dll

Well, Lets say you use Sony Vegas 7.

Its not much of a ram, or CPU eater.

But for the video, it may lag slightly with any integrated graphics. You can always buy a $50 radeon x1550 PCI-E card and get 3x the performance.

oscaryu1

VIP Member
I'd suggest anything except integrated... Dedicated is used in laptops, not desktops. Get an 7300LE for like $30... Gives you alot more performance than integrated...

no1rc3ur

yeah, dedicated would improve your editing, integrated is just.... ugh
plus, there are a lot of cheap vid cards anyways

CG man

I would get a direct 10 card so you can playback Bluray when you get to that point graphics cards have the DVD playback chip in them and so you may need to keep upgrading the graphics card for new formats. If your doing sound editing too you will need a sound card that has the hardware sound chip for sound editing. ATI do a £60 card for doing HDDVD

The_Other_One

VIP Member
Onboard is fine for video editing. As long as it can handle video overlay (which every video card can today) there's really no advantage to upgrading beyond it. Video editing is all handled by the CPU. The only real advantage to upgrading to some "offboard" (thinking in terms of only video editing here) is that you'd possibly regain some system RAM if the onboard uses shared memory. However some onboard chipsets have a small amount of memory dedicated.