Is a flash drive almost the same as an external HD?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Flash drives are used to basically transfer data from one PC to another or just data backup. External tend to be larger then flash drives so they are basically used to store larger files.

_Pete_

Yes no problem with doing that. It will be exactly the same as an external hard drive. The sizes are different in as much that flash drives tend to be smaller capacity than Hard drives although they are getting better. Beware of cheap large capacity flash drives being sold on Ebay. Some of them are not what they seem.

dell

Yes no problem with doing that. It will be exactly the same as an external hard drive. The sizes are different in as much that flash drives tend to be smaller capacity than Hard drives although they are getting better. Beware of cheap large capacity flash drives being sold on Ebay. Some of them are not what they seem.

'''Some of them are not what they seem.' Why is that?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Because they can be fakes. There has been lots of that. If the price is too low then its most likely fake. Always compare prices of same brand and model and multiple places.

'''Some of them are not what they seem.' Why is that?
I definitely agree with that statement, dell.

The fake drives will show to be say, a 64 gig drive. But, say you have XX gigs already on the drive, and attempt to add more files, the new files overwrite the previous files.

Buy a flash drive if you wish. But, buy it from a reputable retailer, not some fly-by-night seller on eBay.

EDIT: I would also suggest going with a USB 3.0 flash drive, over a 2.0, if you have an available 3.0 port on your computer.

Agent Smith

I would go with Adata for a thumb drive. They offer a lifetime warranty. Not sure if others offer this or not.