Is a Sound Card Necessary

haynea4f

I am building a new computer soon. Is a high end sound card necessary? I will not be jamming my games on big speakers. I will be using an expensive plantronics headset though. I dont want to waste money on an expensive sound card if I dont need it. :D

Geoff

VIP Member
Since you have expensive headphones, i would recommend getting at least an Audigy 2ZS, otherwise your wont take advantage of the full potential of your headphones.

DSM1999

how about if u goin to use the speakers? is it important having a good card?
rigth now i have a AC97 intergrated, is that one good enougth?

Flipper

I have AC97 Integrated as well...I find it fine, I can't even tell the difference in audio, then again I don't really judge things based on audio.

DSM1999

Flipper said:
I have AC97 Integrated as well...I find it fine, I can't even tell the difference in audio, then again I don't really judge things based on audio.

yea thats true, i just wanted to make sure , i really wanted to get a known named sound card if is nessesary

Flipper

If you want a good brand for one then get creative all the way, they are known for their work in the computer audio business.

DSM1999

Flipper said:
If you want a good brand for one then get creative all the way, they are known for their work in the computer audio business.

ok i have a question will i notice the difference?

Flipper

Depends what you do...if you are doing audio editting and producing I think you will, I mean...if you are just using it to listen to some music or game, I HIGHLY DOUBT you will notice a difference.

holyjunk

there is a big jump in integreted to lets say creative soundblaster 24-bit ull notice a differance when u do anythin with sound

mrbagrat

banned
Personal experience: I just got a sound card today (cheapest Creative I could get, a Sound Blaster Audigy SE) and there is a difference. The audio doesn't fuzz up as much at higher volume, sounds clearer and sharper, and is all around better. Also, it takes load off of integrated audio. I went up from 15fps in oblivion to 20!! Very satisfied. Get a sound card, it doesn't have to be super expensive.

holyjunk

mrbagrat said:
Personal experience: I just got a sound card today (cheapest Creative I could get, a Sound Blaster Audigy SE) and there is a difference. The audio doesn't fuzz up as much at higher volume, sounds clearer and sharper, and is all around better. Also, it takes load off of integrated audio. I went up from 15fps in oblivion to 20!! Very satisfied. Get a sound card, it doesn't have to be super expensive.
exactly though when u do get a more expensive one lets say the xtreme music u would get maybe 25fps

mrbagrat

banned
holyjunk125 said:
exactly though when u do get a more expensive one lets say the xtreme music u would get maybe 25fps

I dunno. I think I just got the extra fps because I took load off. But once its off its off, and I don't think it can go any higher. Correct me if im wrong.

Bottom line, get a sound card.

WeatherMan

I think it depends, my old one was just 2.1 sound but the new one on my board that i dont use is 7.1, I just use a simple 5.1 soundcard:)

DSM1999

Bootup05 said:
I think it depends, my old one was just 2.1 sound but the new one on my board that i dont use is 7.1, I just use a simple 5.1 soundcard:)

how can i know how many channels does mine has?

goosy22

holyjunk125 said:

chances are no... the only reason is that any integrated component gradually drain CPU usage... the one person who squeezed out more fps is just getting slightly more available work out of his CPU

Geoff

VIP Member
DSM1999 said:
how can i know how many channels does mine has?
Here's an easy way to know...

If you only have one output, usually green, then its just 2.1. If you have an orange, green, and black output, then you have 5.1 or 7.1.

Tonner Cyn

I'm buying a cyberpower Athlon X2 3800+ with 1 gig of RAM (buying a 2nd gig from newegg) and a Geforce 7600GT. Based on my current PIII 1.0 ghz, I know this new system will blow me away performance wise.

I'm about at the limit of my budget and currently just have the integrated 7.1 audio from the mobo. Would it be worth $30 to get a SB Audigy? $42 gets me the Audigy 4.

I'll basically just be playing games, and while I have a mic I hardly ever use voice chat. I also don't need to do editing and such.

Thanks!