is anti virus software a virus?

ken1mod

Gentlemen,

10 years ago, I started running av software, Norton. I was scared of the big black wolf and the a/v software did stop pop ups. It was useful.

Two years ago, pop ups were stopped by the browsers and most had anti virus programs built into them for downloads and dangerous sites were often marked.

I became aware that Norton would make it hard to disable or remove, it lowered performance and interrupted my use of the computer with useless scans and other interruptions.

I decided to go naked and have not had any more virus or malware problems than when I ran Norton or McAffee.

McAffee was horrible, crippling my computer's performance and being nearly impossible to remove.

My thought is that these a/v programs have taken a lesson from the bad guys to keep us buying.

I have had no more problems running naked than I had before. Really.

I am an avid surfer and have definitely bumped into some bad sites but have not had problems.

I would never go back to any a/v program and believe the problem is drastically overstated. I had small problems running a/v andhave had no more running naked.

There are several posts here that talk about a/v programs being intrusive and impossible to remove. Are these not properties of "viruses"?

Thoughts?

Ken

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Nortons and Mcafee tend to be resource hogs and bog down the system. I would never surf the net without an antivirus program installed even if you are the one of the most safest surfers. It's not a question of if you are gonna get infected, but WHEN. It's gonna happen sooner or later. I run AVG free edition and has saved me from visiting a couple bad sites. It will even catch bad ads which are on this forum. However, an anitivirus alone won't catch most of todays nasty infections, thats when you run Malwarebytes or Superantispyware.

Some say the new versions of Nortons are less of a hog then then older versions. I have comcast cable internet and they offer a version of Nortons for free, I've installed it and ran it for a while and didn't like it and uninstalled it. I will never run Nortons or Mcafee again.

ken1mod

Sir, I agree that it is not whether but when. My point is that I think the a/v does next to nothing.

I have had minor issues with a/v and the same without. I think a/v may be a beautiful scam.

Ken

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Like I said before, my AVG has stopped me from visiting bad sites so I know its not a scam. Some antivirus programs are a joke (Mcafee being one of them in my opinion). Just be careful about what you download as it could be a rogue program(meaning an actual infection).

softe

yup, norton and mcafee bottle neck your PC's ram big time, slow you down dromatacally, i love AVG and now Microsoft security essentials.

ken1mod

Gentlenen and Ladies,

I greately respect the knowledge contained here. My opinion of a/v software is fairly firm, however, based on my experience both with and, now without.

My whole beef with the concept has been pounded home when my wife bought McAffee and the performance of her late model computer (64 bit) just collapsed to the point of unusuability. Remove McAffee and it became its usual rocket.

Can you recommend an a/v that does not load the system and is unobtrusive? My wife thinks I am nuts to go without a/v.

Ken

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Use the free versions of either avg, avira, or avast. Look at the sticky thread about security programs to use for the download links.

FuryRosewood

NIS 2010 is quite good, older Notron was garbage. I use Microsoft Forefront, which is just slightly updated Microsoft Security essentials, which in turn is a updated MS Defender. I dont trust AVG anymore...had too many things sneak under its nose, MS Security Essentials is top notch to me, Kapersky is also very good. Highly recommend MalwareBytes Anti-Malware, hell buy the full version, it offers lifetime updates...for 24 bucks.

ken1mod

Gentlemen and Ladies,

Respectfully, why have I not had any more virus problems running without any protection than I had before? About once a year I will pick up one of those "send me $25.00 and I will restore your computer to operation" viruses. I got them just as often running Norton, McAffee and AVG. System restore in Windows always fixes it.

I have not had to deal with sometimes cantankerous a/v software that will not allow its easy removal, interferes with daily operations and slows down my computer. Are these not properties of a virus?

I am an avid computer user and surfer. I have built all my computers since 1986.

Browsers now have anti pop up software built in. Yahoo marks websites as dangerous.

I really feel that a/v software is an anachronism that belongs in the dustbin along with old floppy drives and 286 processors.

Why do I not have any problems with viruses? And No a/v software seems to be able to stop adware (doubleclick). What is with that, shouldn't that be an easy one.

My only purpose is to start a discussion.

Remember, not running this junk (IMHO) is like getting a new cutting edge computer.

OK guys and girls, flame me!!

Ken

ken1mod

Gentlemen and ladies,

I know this site is devoted to computer security but I could be right about a/v software being outdated because of other entities like browsers and Windows itself doing it already.

The a/v software market is huge and profitable and the publishers do not want it to go the way of the dodo.

Should we not, at least, explore the remote possibility that I may be correct in my thoughts. After all, I have had no more problems running naked than others have with wll the fancy a/v ware?

Ken

PohTayToez

There are a couple of bad anti-virus programs that are hard to remove and can actually slow down your system, however all viruses are malicious in nature, so it's not really fair to compare the two and label all anti-virus software as evil because of a few bad eggs.

ken1mod

Sir,

I would prefer the word unnecessary or superfluous. I would not like the word evil. Norton turned into a complete pest when my subscription ran out though.

I would genuinely like to explore the possibility that a/v software has outlived its usefulness. I have a solid two years of data indicating clearly that one can run naked without any problems. I am not making this up. And I do surf avidly.

Ken

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
There are SOME people that don't need antivirus because they know where and where not to go on the web. HOWEVER, 95 percent or more of computer users will get infected even with running antivirus and Antimalware programs only because the people that make the malware are making them now so they can get by any antivirus program easily.

Thank about it.... How many people on this forum use torrent software or other file sharing programs? For those people, its not a matter of if they get infected but WHEN. I'm always helping users clean up their systems from infections and everyone of them run an anitivirus program whether its AVG, AVAST, AVIRA, Nortons, Mcafee, kaspersky, or whatever...

The thing is... An antivirus program alone won't keep you 100 percent safe as you'll need a malware program to clean what the antivirus program can't find. And sometimes a stronger program like combofix or others will be required to clean the system.

However, one day, you will get yours and at that time, you'd wished you have some sort of protection on your system. Everybody has their opinion and we could argue until we are blue in the face.

jevery

Why do I not have any problems with viruses? And No a/v software seems to be able to stop adware (doubleclick). What is with that, shouldn't that be an easy one. Ken

It's really pretty amazing you've avoided infection for this long. Here's my quarantine file .

Quarantine.jpg

I would have been infected 10 times over in the last six months without AV software, and this doesn't show blocked intrusion attempts, of which, there have been appx. 12-15 in the same time frame. So far not a single thing, adware included, has penetrated my system in the last two years or so that I've been running a security suite.

Does AV software slow my system down or impede performance or daily activities? Not that I can tell - My system seems fast and responsive. I wouldn't dream of running naked - I got tired of wiping and reinstalling everything.

tremmor

Gentlemen and ladies,

I know this site is devoted to computer security but I could be right about a/v software being outdated because of other entities like browsers and Windows itself doing it already.

The a/v software market is huge and profitable and the publishers do not want it to go the way of the dodo.

Should we not, at least, explore the remote possibility that I may be correct in my thoughts. After all, I have had no more problems running naked than others have with wll the fancy a/v ware?

Ken

Very good. Don't ever google. Don't ever use your credit card.
Your safe. Thats why i buy. i search for info, investigate and on the prowl. all the time. looking for info. thats what i do and visit 2 or 3 sites like here. thats it. thats also why i buy protection. if you use freeware virus, ok . did for years. i have grand kids i want added protection including firewall both ways inbound and outbound. yes.......do use my credit card. all the time.

ken1mod

Dear Tremmor,

I do all these things every day. I investigate, prowl and research all over the internet. I use limewire and even download the occasional executable if it looks right sizewise, etc.

These programs warn us about downloading executables and my browser makes me approve any and all downloads. My browser tells me that an attachment has been virsus scanned by Norton or AVG even though I do not run these at my level.

If one downloads and runs zips and rars from questionable sources after the warnings, how is a/v supposed to help?

My experience is real. I only want to point out that what a/v used to do has been taken over by browsers, etc.

I won't fuss too much more but I think the topic is worth discussion. a/v software is not a religion, after all.

ken

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
I do all these things every day. I investigate, prowl and research all over the internet. I use limewire and even download the occasional executable if it looks right sizewise, etc.

Limewire is a number 1 no no first of all.

These programs warn us about downloading executables and my browser makes me approve any and all downloads. My browser tells me that an attachment has been virsus scanned by Norton or AVG even though I do not run these at my level.

That would be the web based email you are using not a standalone email program like outlook express, thunderbird, windows mail, etc... Which most use instead of webbased email.

If one downloads and runs zips and rars from questionable sources after the warnings, how is a/v supposed to help?

An antivirus/malware program will scan a rar/zip file.

My experience is real. I only want to point out that what a/v used to do has been taken over by browsers, etc.

Not hardly

I won't fuss too much more but I think the topic is worth discussion. a/v software is not a religion, after all.

I'm not sure how old you are or how much experience you have, but it doesn't sound like you have all your ducks in a row. Your not basing your opinion on fact.

I can almost garantee that you have some sort of malware/adaware issue on your system. Without running AV or malware software how are you gonna know?

ken1mod

Gentlemen,

I just ran malwarebytes as recommended by this site and it found 28 instances of malware on my unprotected machine. It found 35 on my wife's computer protected by McAffee.

All were removed by the product with no noticable difference in either machine.

I really wish I understood more about all these products.

Ken

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
As I said before, an antivirus program alone won't catch everything, thats why a malware program is required. And then sometimes a stronger program is required to get rid of the really nasties.