Is anyone running Resident Evil 5 on PC? (FIXED/Solution)

I have not played RE5 in 3 years and I wanted to play it today on my PC (Windows 7, signature) I can't get the game to Run.

I own it through Steam. Any suggestions on what I can do?

There are is 2 different things that happen.
1) when I try to run the game it says "Program has stopped working"
2) After finding a supposed fix for GFWL I manage to get the game title to open and give me the choice of DirectX9-or10 however 10 just gives me full Black Screen and game crashes. 9 gives me half black window and crash again.

Would like to know how to get this game running through Steam on my Windows 7 PC.

Any help is appreciated.
Thanks

I already have it installed. I run all my other games with no issues. NOt sure what the problem could be.
Capture.png

Last edited:
Hey johnb35. I actually got the game running just wanted to share in case another person has the same issue.

First you need to get these files here
https://www.dll-files.com/xlive.dll.html

Copy and Paste them inside the Game Folder for Resident Evil 5 (within the Steam game folder) If it ask you to replace the files say Yes. After you done that you would want to download these files. https://www11.zippyshare.com/v/xzCBJFW3/file.html Found them on a Youtube video and they fixed my problem.

The first set of files Fixed the problem but made the problem something different, so it was a step forward, then after searching the step forward from the first files, I found the files on the second link on a Youtube video. After doing these 2 easy quick steps I was able to get Resident Evil 5 up and running. Confirmed Windows 7 (Steam).

So glad it worked.

Thanks for the help.
See you around.

EpicSurvivor

EDIT: This fix is for Games for Windows Live, for some reason it has a conflict with Steam being older and dated software. This solution fixed the issue for me and got the game running.

Last edited:

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
So was it a steam issue or an actual game install issue? I just find it quite weird.

So was it a steam issue or an actual game install issue? I just find it quite weird.
It was partially Steam but Mostly a problem with Game for Windows Live. The Steps I followed above fixed the issue for games for Windows Live. I am going to edit that on my Solution Post.

Darren

Staff member
Games for Windows Live is a cancer on PC gaming. Glad they killed it but it's a hassle on older games that still have it baked in.