Is Corsair's RM750 PSU compatible with Asus H110M-K or Gigabyte Z170-HD3P?

Spiros94

So I'm thinking of buying a new motherboard, RAM and CPU. I have Corsair's RM750 PSU and I've read that I need to check PSU - motherboard compatibility. The CPU I'm getting is DDR4 2133MHz, so I'm getting the same type of RAM and motherboard. The two motherboards I've mentioned are both DDR4 2133MHz (stock), just different sizes and I want to check whether or not my pc case can support the bigger one as well, since the one I currently have installed is Asus P8H61-M LE R2.0 (Micro ATX). My pc case is Corsair's Carbide Series SPEC-01 Mid Tower Gaming Case.
CPU: from i5-2500 to i5-7600K
RAM: from 2x4GB sticks to 2x8GB or 1x16GB, gotta research whether I should prefer one of the two
Motherboard: from P8H61-M LE R2.0 to H110M-K or Z170-HD3P

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Get the Z170-hd3p if you are getting the 7600k. However, the motherboard won't support the cpu without a bios update since the cpu is Kabylake, you would have to get a Z270 series motherboard to support Kaby Lake cpu out of the box. Also get DDR4 2800 or higher ram. You'll just have to go into the bios and enable XMP setting. Get 2x8gb sticks so you'll run in dual channel mode. Motherboard will fit in case and the power supply is fine, maybe overkill depending on what video card you have.

Spiros94

Get the Z170-hd3p if you are getting the 7600k. However, the motherboard won't support the cpu without a bios update since the cpu is Kabylake, you would have to get a Z270 series motherboard to support Kaby Lake cpu out of the box. Also get DDR4 2800 or higher ram. You'll just have to go into the bios and enable XMP setting. Get 2x8gb sticks so you'll run in dual channel mode. Motherboard will fit in case and the power supply is fine, maybe overkill depending on what video card you have.

Why should I get that one? Aren't they both compatible with the cpu? Also about the RAM, shouldn't I get 2133MHz since that's the stock frequency the motherboard supports? I have AMD Radeon R9 series 380 4GB so I had bought the PSU to be able to use the new GPU.

beers

Staff member
Z170 boards typically need a BIOS upgrade to support Kaby Lake 7xxx series CPUs. If you put the CPU in without the upgrade, more often than not the system won't even post. I had a similar issue putting an Ivy G1620 celeron in a P8P67 board that refused to boot without a BIOS upgrade.

You'd want faster RAM since the platform supports higher frequencies, the difference is relatively inexpensive, and 2133 is fairly low for DDR4.

Since you're buying a new board you might as well get the latest chipset revision via Z270 or similar.

Spiros94

Z170 boards typically need a BIOS upgrade to support Kaby Lake 7xxx series CPUs. If you put the CPU in without the upgrade, more often than not the system won't even post. I had a similar issue putting an Ivy G1620 celeron in a P8P67 board that refused to boot without a BIOS upgrade.

You'd want faster RAM since the platform supports higher frequencies, the difference is relatively inexpensive, and 2133 is fairly low for DDR4.

Since you're buying a new board you might as well get the latest chipset revision via Z270 or similar.

What I meant was why get the Z170 and not the H110 one. Regarding higher frequency RAM it supports higher frequency but with an "OC" next to the frequency. Doesn't that mean that I somehow have to overclock the RAM? Is that the XML thing you mentioned?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Technically its not overclocking per say. But yes, you just go into bios and enable xmp setting and it automatically sets speed and timings for the sticks. The reason why to get the Z170/Z270 is because you are getting the K version cpu which means its unlocked and you can overclock it but you can't overclock on H series board but can on the Z series. Where are you getting your parts from so we can recommend a Z270 board that will support the 7600k without updating the bios?

Spiros94

Technically its not overclocking per say. But yes, you just go into bios and enable xmp setting and it automatically sets speed and timings for the sticks. The reason why to get the Z170/Z270 is because you are getting the K version cpu which means its unlocked and you can overclock it but you can't overclock on H series board but can on the Z series. Where are you getting your parts from so we can recommend a Z270 board that will support the 7600k without updating the bios?

Well I live in Greece so I don't think there's a point in explaining, but anyway there are a few big chain stores and there's a website that includes products from a ridiculous number of stores, big or small, which is www.skroutz.gr. Also, a friend suggested that I check out the 6600K as well, but isn't the 7600K a direct upgrade from that one?

Spiros94

Actually I just found Gigabyte's Z270-HD3P and it's pretty much at the same price. So I should get this one instead of the Z170 to not need the BIOS update?

Edit: I hope this shows correctly: http://bto.plaisio.gr/MachineNew?st...7B289.9B1A2453967B139.9B1AD2017-2-27-02-03-55

The selected components on the right side are the CPU, motherboard and DDR4 RAM at 2400MHz. Are they good? Also what about the prices? Since Ryzen's showcase (if that's the word for it) Intel dropped CPU prices a bit right? So is the 7600K gonna drop from 289€?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Correct, you wouldn't need the bios update. And yes, the 7600K is the upgrade from the 6600k.

Spiros94

I just noticed that last part about the latest chipset revision via Z270. I don't really know what that means. Is it about not needing the BIOS update for the CPU, like John explained?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
He just means you might as well get the Z270 series board so you don't have to update the bios. If you ended up getting the Z170 board, you would have to install a supported cpu in order to update bios to support the Kaby Lake cpu.

Spiros94

He just means you might as well get the Z270 series board so you don't have to update the bios. If you ended up getting the Z170 board, you would have to install a supported cpu in order to update bios to support the Kaby Lake cpu.

Oh wow I'm glad I haven't bought anything yet. Ok so it's the 7600K along with Gigabyte's Z270 HD3P right? About RAM I read that if the RAM is higher frequency than the motherboard it can fry it. How much difference will the higher frequency RAM give me?
Regarding the CPU, apparently the box doesn't include a cooler so I could either use the really really plain fan that I've had up to this point, or get a new one. I've been reading everywhere about the Hyper 212x, should I get that?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
If you enable the XMP setting, you won't fry anything. When you manually go in and change voltage and timings then you take a chance on frying ram. So you have nothing to worry about. Either the hyper 212 or the Cryorig H7 if its available in your country.

Spiros94

If you enable the XMP setting, you won't fry anything. When you manually go in and change voltage and timings then you take a chance on frying ram. So you have nothing to worry about. Either the hyper 212 or the Cryorig H7 if its available in your country.

I see. So what kind of frequency RAM should I get to really notice difference from 2133 MHz?
The Cryorig H7 is available too and they are around the same price, with the 212x being just a bit cheaper. Do you intensely suggest one of the two coolers or are both okay?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
The H7 is supposed to keep cpu cooler by a few degrees over the hyper 212 so I would get that. Probably will be my next cooler when I get the 7700K later this year. I would get anywhere from 2800mhz, 3000mhz or 3200mhz. Whichever you could afford.

Spiros94

The H7 is supposed to keep cpu cooler by a few degrees over the hyper 212 so I would get that. Probably will be my next cooler when I get the 7700K later this year. I would get anywhere from 2800mhz, 3000mhz or 3200mhz. Whichever you could afford.

Alright then, I also read that H7 is better so I'm getting that. Well for some reason Corsair's DDR4 3200MHz is just 10€ more expensive than Corsair's DDR4 2400MHz and 3000MHz (which are at the same price as each other), so I can get the 3200MHz one without much extra money.
Thanks a lot John for the help. I'm not getting the parts yet, I'm probably going to get them in a few months when I'm better off as far as money is concerned. I'll probably come back to see what you guys have told me and possibly ask some more questions. Have a very good day/night :)

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Your welcome. I'm sure prices will change by then as AMD's Ryzen cpu's will be coming out and Intel should be lowering their prices because of it.

Reactions: C4C

Spiros94

Your welcome. I'm sure prices will change by then as AMD's Ryzen cpu's will be coming out and Intel should be lowering their prices because of it.

How is Gigabyte's Z270 Gaming K3 different from Gigabyte's Z270-HD3P? Is it just the LED lights?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
If you can swing it, get the Gaming K3 board. Much better in my opinion. That would have been my first choice except I gonna get the Gaming 5.

The hd3p has pci slots which really are old technology now, whereas the k3 has all pciexpress. The hd3p has onboard vga output so if you have an older monitor you may need it, the K3 only has dvi.