Is data transferring as simple as copy/paste?

elevatorfan7072

Within the next ten months I plan on getting a 1TB hard drive as an upgrade for my (rediculously tiny) Maxtor 160GB hard drive running Windows 8 on my parent's computer. It is jampacked. If I just hook the hard drive up to my computer and copy/paste the data on the new one will it still work? I assume it would because the drivers for the USB hub, BIOS, and PCI I/O controller and stuff would still be on there. Then I could wipe the 160GB and use it as an extension to my current system. Plus, if you've ever owned a DiamondMax, you'd know that they are noisy when they start up.

Last edited:

strollin

You can copy & paste data (pictures, docs, music files, videos, etc) from the existing hdd to a new hdd without issue but you cannot simply copy & paste the OS and your installed programs. If what you want is to transfer everything from the existing drive to a new drive then you need to clone (copy) the old drive to the new. You can use a free program such as Macrium Reflect to clone the drive. There are hidden files that need to be copied and files that need to be put in specific locations on the disk which is why you need to use the cloning software.

Last edited:

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
Yes if you're planning on moving an operating system, you need to clone the drive out, not just copy/paste

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Sometimes, but its always best to go into folder options and enable hidden files/folders option.

S.T.A.R.S.

banned
If you don't want to then you don't need to install any software in order to do this...

Use simple Linux Ubuntu CD-ROM disk,boot from it,open file explorer,turn on "SHOW HIDDEN FILES" and finally just copy and paste your entire drive to a new location (wether the destination location is on the same drive or on different drive) and it will copy every single file and folder without problems.

Cheers!

strollin

If you follow Stars advice, you then will have all files copied but you won't be able to reverse that procedure to make your new disk bootable. Best to use cloning software as previously stated. Besides, if you don't already have a Ubuntu disk handy, it will take longer to download/burn one than to download the cloning software.

elevatorfan7072

I currently have a spare computer running Windows Vista. If I enable hidden files in there could I just do it like that, or does it need to be the Linux CD?

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
As said before, you're best off cloning the entire drive over to a new one. You can use a Live CD of something like Clonezilla to do the job.

larsch

If you follow Stars advice, you then will have all files copied but you won't be able to reverse that procedure to make your new disk bootable.

It will actually be bootable by just formatting a primary partition and marking it active. But there can be a slight issue with the bcd store.