Is diffrent speeds ok when using 2 burners?

newatit27

Hi Guys Long time since I last posted, hope you can help me with this one.

I am looking to add a second burner to my PC to Speed up buring times and all that.

I have at the moment a pioneer DVR 111D at X16 DVD R+/R- write speeds now I was looking to get one of these two: http://www.surpass.com.au/content/standard.asp?name=ProductInfo&productinfo=20078

Or a Pioneer DVR-212BK 18x Dual Black OEM - SATA

now my question is will there be conflicts since the Inital drive is only x16 and the others are X20 and X18 so what speed will that actually write in and will there be a big differnce If I got the sata as apose to the IDE ?

(I am not a big fan with dealing with the master and slave setups)

I was planning to put the second drive one a sperate channel if I went with that drive.

PC eye

banned
Each drive there would run independently of each other even if you were adding a second ide model. You select the drive through the software menu when going to burn a disk. I run two ide burners here one for cd-rs/rws with the other being a dvd-r/rw type and have no problems with either. Each drive will burn according to material and file sizes. For large files like videos don't expect to see max burn rates. There too much data to process for that.

newatit27

Thanks PC-eye, But I am not completely sure you understand what I am trying to achieve. I want one drive to read the data while the other burns it straight to the blank media, IE cutting out the need for the data being on the hardrive then burnt. This is where I see the speeds conflicting eg. reading at x16 but writing at x 18 ?

StrangleHold

Staff member
When burning a CD from one drive to the other the limit you will have is the burner cant burn any faster then the other drive can read.

The Qban

Cache

Your computer will cache the memory of what has been read. with some burning programs, you have the option of saving the image read from the original cd to the computer as well as burning it directly to the CD. but overall, you are limited to what that burner is capable of with its speeds. even if the original cd player/burner, reads faster, the burner will catch up and the memory will be temporarily stored on the computer until the burner finishes recording it.

heyman421

banned
the cd-rom is going to have a hard time keeping up with even 16x.

even if you had 5,000 dvd-roms, i'd STRONGLY suggest creating an image file first, and then burning from that

if a disc has a lot of errors, it can take a VERY long time to read through them

newatit27

the cd-rom is going to have a hard time keeping up with even 16x.

even if you had 5,000 dvd-roms, i'd STRONGLY suggest creating an image file first, and then burning from that

if a disc has a lot of errors, it can take a VERY long time to read through them

I don't really intend on doing a large amount of CD buring with this config. I have a different setup for that. In regards to DVD's However why would It have a hard time keeping up with times x16? as most media is rated that fast and most roms and burners these days are now at x18 and x 20. I thiught that perhaps If I was reading the information of the disc on the x16 drive that the x18 would limit itself in some way to burning at that speed as well.

(thanks for all the quick responses thus far guys )

heyman421

banned
As long as the only discs you're planning on duplicating are brand new, and completely free of scratches, fingerprints, or even dust, are unencrypted, and free of any type of intentional uncorrectable bad sectors, illegal addressing or any other type of copy protection, you're set. :rolleyes:

I've been doing this for a long time, and because a drive is CAPABLE of reading at a certain rate doesn't mean it will be able to read YOUR discs that fast, let alone CORRECTLY, which is a whole different story entirely.

newatit27

Uh I will keep that in mind pc eye but I really don't think there was any mention of anything illegal. Does anyone else have any suggestion regarding my two burner querys?

StrangleHold

Staff member
What other suggestions, when coping from 1 drive to the other your basically limited to the read speed of the drive your coping from.