Is flushing my toilet crashing my PC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The VCR King

I know this is probably the stupidest question anyone has ever asked, but I'm serious right now. My PC has still been having its sudden power loss issue, but I picked up on something a few minutes ago. Every night, I have a gaming session until midnight, then I go to use the bathroom, and when I come back to my PC, it's shut off and I have to reboot it. Checking event viewer, the KERNEL POWER 41 event has a timestamp which is the same time I was finished in the bathroom...

Is flushing my toile somehow crashing my PC??? Seriously...

:rolleyes::p:eek:

Last edited by a moderator:

The VCR King

Toilets don't use power...

Like... I don't even know how to even respond to you seriously anymore.
I know but these crash times are directly corresponding with the times I use the bathroom. Its really confusing to me and I understand you're point. Could something else be causing my power issue like turning on the bathroom fan or shutting off the light? Like maybe a short or arc??

TrainTrackHack

VIP Member
I know but these crash times are directly corresponding with the times I use the bathroom. Its really confusing to me and I understand you're point. Could something else be causing my power issue like turning on the bathroom fan or shutting off the light? Like maybe a short or arc??
Play around with the bathroom lights during other times of the day. Then start having your midnight piss without turning on any lights or other electronics. Should help you isolate the cause.

aldan

how is your water delivered?by city or do you have a pump and well.the only way this could happen (and the jury is out on that one) is for your pc and your water pump to be on the same circuit and overloading same.top that one folks.LMAO.

Geoff

VIP Member
While very rare, possibly:

As aldan said, if you have a well with a pump it could kick in after flushing the toilet and cause a brownout or similar.
You are turning on lights when going to the bathroom that may overload it

beers

Staff member
Depending on your house it might not be as crazy as you think.

As per others, try recreating the behavior so you can isolate it down to a specific thing whether it is toilet only, lights or similar.

Laquer Head

My uncle lives on this tiny island near New Brunswick, Canada and his bathroom toilet plugs into wall, connected to some kind of pump and tank type system. Definitely not out of the realm of possibilities that there could be interference - depending on if you have some electrical type system for your septic,.

Darren

Staff member
This is what I call a shitty situation...

Infraction issued for.... *giggles uncontrollably*

dVDJiez.gif

I noticed for several years that my computer speakers would make a distinct pop whenever that bathroom light would be switched on or off and this house was built in 2004. You're not totally off your rocker. How old is your house? Sounds like your electrical wiring is... poop.

The VCR King

Infraction issued for.... *giggles uncontrollably*

dVDJiez.gif

I noticed for several years that my computer speakers would make a distinct pop whenever that bathroom light would be switched on or off and this house was built in 2004. You're not totally off your rocker. How old is your house? Sounds like your electrical wiring is... poop.
House was built relatively recently in 1992 and my computer speakers pop when I shut off any lights on the upstairs floor.

Other electrical nightmares that plague my residence include:
NONE of the breakers are labeled properly. Seriously.

The two-car garage, basement, and my bathroom are all on the same circuit. Plugging in too many Christmas lights in the garage during the holidays pops the GFCI outlet in my bathroom so we have to use LEDs to prevent that.

Turning on the microwave causes the whole house to dim.

I have a large stereo system in my bedroom (DJ amplifier, four subwoofers, 6 speakers). Any time the bass hits the bedroom light dim.

There is a large transformer the size of a smart-car on the ground in my backyard, not fenced off or anything. Just sitting there buzzing along.

The phone jack in my office which my PC uses for internet isn't even a phone jack... In my bedroom there is a phone jack, and inside it the wires are all spliced and there is a run of Cat5 that goes under the carpet in the bedroom, down the hallway, and comes out of the baseboard in the office and into a phone wall plate. This was only discovered when I got AT&T U-Verse internet last year and they attached that beeper thing to trace the wiring. It was quite an entertaining experience for both me and the ATT guy.

One time our neighbors installed a fence without a permit and they cut into our electrical wiring and we had no electricity for a week.

My neighborhood is fed from two substations. During a power outage, sometimes one house has power, and the one next to is is blacked out. It's crazy!

We get power surges. Daily. Never fails. How my PC still works (as good as it works anyways) is a mystery to my whole family. So far we are on our 13th (yes I have kept a running count) replacement DirecTV receiver because the surges keep frying them.

None of the outlets work right. Plug something in, and itll just fall out. We have to bend the prongs outward on everything so it won't fall out.

and...

This is in the middle of a metropolitan capital city with a population of over one million people.

Darren

Staff member
I have a large stereo system in my bedroom (DJ amplifier, four subwoofers, 6 speakers). Any time the bass hits the bedroom light dim.

Just for fun. Turn these off and unplugged for a few days. See if it makes any difference. *shrug*

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
You definitely have an electrical wiring issue in the house and is why you are having problems with everything. Without having a contractor come in to find out what needs to be done, you would be better off moving to a different house. Sounds like the whole house needs to be rewired. Seriously.

Darren

Staff member
You definitely have an electrical wiring issue in the house and is why you are having problems with everything. Without having a contractor come in to find out what needs to be done, you would be better off moving to a different house. Sounds like the whole house needs to be rewired. Seriously.
Yeah this is really the best and only answer to all of your threads. The house needs some serious electrical work.

The VCR King

Thing is with all these problems, this is all the original electrical in the house! And my house is only 25 years old!

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
How many amps is your main breaker? You may not have enough amps coming into the house to support everything.

The VCR King

How many amps is your main breaker? You may not have enough amps coming into the house to support everything.
Honestly I have no idea. Its a two-story house though and each room has at least four outlets.

My bedroom is the heaviest load of all though, because in my room I got that DJ setup, a flat screen TV, two old tube radios, an alarm clock, a VCR and a BD player, a CD changer, two turntables, a bigger shortwave radio,and a tape deck. I have a surge protector in there and one of the outlets has 12 things total plugged into it because of the surge strip. Also, a ceiling fan. I am currently running a huge window air conditioner along with all of that and my breaker has never tripped so I'm not overloading it, but I'm definitely coming close lol

The VCR King

Oh yeah I almost forgot...
We have to put those curly CFLs in everything. Incandescent bulbs instantly explode when turned on in my house.

Laquer Head

Honestly I have no idea. Its a two-story house though and each room has at least four outlets.

My bedroom is the heaviest load of all though, because in my room I got that DJ setup, a flat screen TV, two old tube radios, an alarm clock, a VCR and a BD player, a CD changer, two turntables, a bigger shortwave radio,and a tape deck. I have a surge protector in there and one of the outlets has 12 things total plugged into it because of the surge strip. Also, a ceiling fan. I am currently running a huge window air conditioner along with all of that and my breaker has never tripped so I'm not overloading it, but I'm definitely coming close lol

Holy sweet flying crap

Status
Not open for further replies.