Is GeForce 8400GS a good card?

RedTab

can you recommend me a Graphic card below 64 Us Dollar?

anyone can recommend me a card below 64dollar?

:):):)

i need it for basic 3D gaming..thx alot :D

Last edited:

StrangleHold

Staff member
Well no, not really. I would try to get atleast a 8600GTS. The 8400GS is a good card for 50 bucks but its pretty much a low in card.

diduknowthat

formerly liuliuboy
No, it's not really designed to be a gaming card. Do you absolutely need DX10? If not, take a look at the 7600GS/GT, they're DX9 but should generally perform better.

maroon1

What games are you playing ?

Most of the new games will run on low setting with that video card, if you are going to play old games then that video card is not bad for you

Geoff

VIP Member
i wouldnt get a 8400Gs,If you realy need DX10 then get a 8600.

Even the 8600 isnt a good choice for a DX10 card, i'd say dont bother unless you get an 8800. The reason being that the 8600 can't handle the current games on high enough settings to notice a difference between DX9 and DX10.

Zangetsu

[-0MEGA-];750148 said:
Even the 8600 isnt a good choice for a DX10 card, i'd say dont bother unless you get an 8800. The reason being that the 8600 can't handle the current games on high enough settings to notice a difference between DX9 and DX10.

What do you mean?

RoBBy

u dont need to always go high end, u guys dosn't seem to understand that only a couple of us are able to spend 300+$ on a gfx card, easyer to say buy an high end card when u dont pay for it.. First what is you maximum budjet? second what games u plan playing?

My freind run a 8500GT and he's happy with it, he cant play all games to high, but he didn't have the money to get higher, so he just get what he can.

Nightrain

I think what Omega is trying to say is that currently the 8600 can not run High end current games at full settings even in DX-9, so if you try to add all the extra things the card has to handle in dx10, it simply isnt going to be able to do all that well.

And once you have to turn down the settings on a dx9 game, its not going to be able to handle all that dx10 is going to throw at it.

Sorry im not explaining this very well, not feeling to well today. Basically if you can't run the graphic settings of dx10 at full and have to turn the settings down your not taking full advantage of what the game has to offer. And if the 8600 cant handle the current dx10 games all that well, the 8400 doesnt stand a chance at gaming very well.

Idk im sick, take it as you will.

Zangetsu

u dont need to always go high end, u guys dosn't seem to understand that only a couple of us are able to spend 300+$ on a gfx card, easyer to say buy an high end card when u dont pay for it.. First what is you maximum budjet? second what games u plan playing?

My freind run a 8500GT and he's happy with it, he cant play all games to high, but he didn't have the money to get higher, so he just get what he can.

True... I am still struggling with the 6800GT, because I couldn't buy a more expensive card back then. Now I am saving a bit. But still... de 6800GT owns :)

anyway, a 8500GT is ok, but to be honest... the 8400GS sucks. At least go for the 8500GT (512MB).

Zangetsu

StrangleHold

Staff member
[-0MEGA-];750148 said:

Yea thats the reason I suggested the 8600GTS. Since he was asking about a 50 buck card I didnt think he would go for a 8800. Anything below a 8600GTS I would just get a DirectX 9 card like a 7900GS-X1950 pro or even a 7600GT before a 8400 or 8500.

diduknowthat

formerly liuliuboy
True... I am still struggling with the 6800GT, because I couldn't buy a more expensive card back then. Now I am saving a bit. But still... de 6800GT owns :)

anyway, a 8500GT is ok, but to be honest... the 8400GS sucks. At least go for the 8500GT (512MB).

Zangetsu

Noo, the extra memory on the 512mb card will do ABSOLUTELY NOTHING performance wise. The card just isn't powerful enough to utilize the extra memory. The 256mb version is more than enough for that card.