Is it common that computers are hijacked to run data?

When I put my computer asleep I've found it to awaken numerous times and running really hot. (processing lots of data.) It is not doing a MS update either. I remember way back when computer users were asked if they wanted to join a group where their computers would crunch data while idle. I never signed up for it and don't want to be a part of it now, if it still exists. I've started to log off the internet when I put the computer asleep and have had no further problems awakening. Is this even a issue nowadays with all the hi-powered computers? Are computers ever hijacked in off hours to run someone's data?

OmniDyne

Interestingly, I've had the same issue recently, as in it started last week. Turns out it's Windows Media player "media sharing" preventing sleep mode. I don't use it, so not sure why or how it started. I'll have to manually disable it in Services.

You can check to see what's preventing sleep state by opening the command prompt as Administrator and pasting 'powercfg -requests', without apostrophes.

Thanks. How do you open command prompts? Someone may have mentioned the command to me earlier in another thread. I could not figure out how to do it. I Googled it and still could not figure out how to do it. I did shut off all the apps on some big list. It is terrible how complex and ad filled computers have become. You need hi computing capacity just to get through the ads to try and read some text or do some work.

AlienMenace

Interestingly, I've had the same issue recently, as in it started last week. Turns out it's Windows Media player "media sharing" preventing sleep mode. I don't use it, so not sure why or how it started. I'll have to manually disable it in Services.

You can check to see what's preventing sleep state by opening the command prompt as Administrator and pasting 'powercfg -requests', without apostrophes.

Also I want to thank you on this, didn't know that the thing was running either. I disabled it.