Is it okay to put a PC inside a desk cabinet (ventilation-wise)?

JohnJSal

Hi all. I'm thinking about getting a new PC desk and most that I see have the big side cabinet for putting the PC in. But I worry that it might not get enough ventilation if I do this. Right now my current desk also has this, but I have the PC on the side of the desk, not inside the cabinet.

My particular PC has intake fans in the front and exhaust fans at the top and back. Most desks I see only have a single opening in the back of the cabinet for the PC cables to pass through, so what are your thoughts as far as air passage goes? Does it even matter? I know it's not like the PC will be sealed up in there, but it looks like a tight fit with little room to breathe, so to speak! :)

Thanks!

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
I wouldn't do it, I try to tell my clients that its not a good idea to keep towers inside the cabinet.

JohnJSal

Thanks for the response. Just another thought: would it make a difference if the cabinet door were removed so that it remains permanently opened in the front? I'm sure that would help with intake, but I'm not sure it would do much for exhaust.

JohnJSal

you could remove the back panel but as john said i wouldnt advise this

Hmm, interesting idea. I think that would probably depend on the particular desk though, because most that I've seen have a full back panel across the entire desk, not just on the back of the cabinet. I'll probably just end up putting it to the side like I do now. I'm trying to make sure I have enough room to do that. My PC case is 8" across, and I figure I may have about 10" of open space to put it in. Is that enough room on either side?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
The problem is the pc will be heating up the air in the cabinet and the intake fan will only be recirculating that hot air, not really what you want.

JohnJSal

The problem is the pc will be heating up the air in the cabinet and the intake fan will only be recirculating that hot air, not really what you want.

I probably won't use the cabinet, but I'll have 10'' of space to the side of the desk. Is that enough for a case that's 8'' wide?

beers

Staff member
I've seen a lot of people cut out holes of those enclosure spaces and add dedicated inlet/exhaust air pathing with some extra fans. Probably a PITA to be honest.