Is it safe to access my Windows XP computer with team viewer?

dmehling

Is it safe to routinely connect to an old Windows XP computer with a remote desktop program like Team Viewer? Aside from connecting through team viewer, I do not intend to access the Internet on the Windows XP machine. Would doing this at all risk my Windows 10 client machine getting attacked with malware? I assume that it would not be a problem, since any security vulnerabilities in Windows XP would not be present in Windows 10, but I'm not that knowledgeable about security.

Agent Smith

Yes. I do it on a netbook with XP SP3.

And this BS about being infected/hacked and all this crap because you're using XP is blown out of proportion. I have this netbook as a FTP server and team speak server! Though I access the Internet on it rarely I've never been "hacked" or get any malware. The netbook is my kitchen kiosk using an external monitor/mouse and keyboard. Great for looking up recipes and phone numbers.

SpriteMidr

Yes. I do it on a netbook with XP SP3.

And this BS about being infected/hacked and all this crap because you're using XP is blown out of proportion. I have this netbook as a FTP server and team speak server! Though I access the Internet on it rarely I've never been "hacked" or get any malware. The netbook is my kitchen kiosk using an external monitor/mouse and keyboard. Great for looking up recipes and phone numbers.

Slightly off topic, but is there any reason that you are using FTP over SFTP? Because if I remember correctly, FTP itself is completely encrypted is it not? I know SFTP is sort of an extension of SSH...but I rarely hear of people using it on non unix systems.

Agent Smith

Oh FFS! I just seen this. No, I'm not using Telnet you idiot! I use FTP TLS/SSL Implicit encryption. Read this: http://www.jscape.com/blog/bid/8299...L-Implicit-Explicit-and-Forced-Explicit-Modes

If you have a FTP server use a non-standard port like 32989 or something. Just don't expect to use that port on your smartphone since the cell provider won't let you use that port and a free WIFI hotspot more than likely won't allow that port. Your answer: A VPN.

Here's a screen shot.

uohmEwg.jpg

Last edited: