Is it safe to switch on my computer? Anyone had this issue?

potato.

Hi i haven't used my laptop for about 2 years and when i took it out, this is what i saw and i am quite worried. Is it safe to switch on? anyone had this issue before? is the LCD liquid leaking or something? Capture.PNGCapture.PNG

potato.

The grooves feel like hardened glue. And there's a weird plastic smell. I'm not sure if the screen broke as I can't see any cracks. But it's ok i've decided to not switch it on lest it explodes. Thanks for checking on it.

porterjw

Spaminator
Staff member
That looks like mold.

Let it charge a bit and try turning it on. Worst that can happen is nothing happens.

potato.

I don't think it would explode. Have you tried wiping it off? Have you tried charging it?
yep i was charging it before i opened to look at it. and i was afraid like leakage from the LCD seeping into the system and causing some reaction? It can't be wiped off. it's like plastic fused together that state with hard grooves. so i have no idea what happened

potato.

That looks like mold.

Let it charge a bit and try turning it on. Worst that can happen is nothing happens.
i took the courage and switched it on and it showed a black screen saying to press F2 and i didnt read much and forced shut it as that plastic smell got stronger with the computer heating up it seems. or i hope i'm imagining it. anyways i think it can't be salvaged. it's a vista OS btw so i guess so long pc. RIP