is it the motherboard?

steel_city82

I am trying to fix a computer and the problem is that when you turn it on it fires up for about 3 seconds then shuts down. I dont even know where to begin, so my first choice is the motherboard. all the connections to the MB are hooked up correct, could i be missing something or is it something else. The computer was built only 5 months ago so everything in it is basically new.

lynx6200

I had the same exact problem. First I would say try removing other hardware componenets, ram, hard drive, etc., and see if the system will power up. If not, Id be almost certain its the psu. test it if you can, try another psu with your system if you have one.

The_Other_One

VIP Member
Yeah, pull all out that you can and if it still won't work, try another power supply. Maybe even remove your old motherboard and reseat it to be sure all is correct.

Archangel

VIP Member
try to start the pc with only mob cpu and ram. and c what happens then.

btw, does you mobo as a diagnostic LED system?

steel_city82

well the computer is my friends but i have an extra power supply lying around ill give that a try. and for the LED diag. it has one but it doesnt stay powered long enough to get any reading.

steel_city82

on the back on the PSU that red switch that says 115, well i switched it to the 230 and the computer turned on, but now the HD dosnt fire up and the video card doesnt work. so could it possibly be the PSU thats shot or is the MB fried.