Is It True?

rhinoman08

Is it really true that Dell systems (Dimension series) are nearly impossibe to upgrade to a better graphic card, thats what my friend said. I heard they make it really hard to do it but i have no idea. IS THIS TRUE THO?

lilpaul2019

well listen every company has a trick up there sleaves to make it hard for the end user to upgrade they make it where u have to send it back to them and put more mony and make them richer but its not impossible grab a new motherboard that will go with ur cpu and ram and hdd and upgrad the video card

mgoldb2

VIP Member
lilpaul2019 said:
but its not impossible grab a new motherboard that will go with ur cpu and ram and hdd and upgrad the video card

well the problem is half the time you cant just upgrade the motherboard because they make there cases unsual and there PSU special for the computer.

That being said about the video card issue. If it has a agp 4x/8x slot then it should be able to run any agp video card as long as the PSU can handle it. I think this even true with dells.

where people runs into trouble upgrading dell video cards is that they buy the lowest model which has no agp or pci-e slot.

tomprice43

ive just checked this out on one of my brothers inspirons which has an ATI 9800 and i put a ATI x800 and a Nvidea 6600 and they both worked fine.

rhinoman08

well i think dell is gay cuz i tried upgrading my dells ram so i took out the old stick but realized i was gonna keep it in there so when i started it up it started to smoke up in so bad could barely breathe!!!!! :mad:

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Is it really true that Dell systems (Dimension series) are nearly impossibe to upgrade to a better graphic card, thats what my friend said. I heard they make it really hard to do it but I have no idea. IS THIS TRUE THO?
Yes and no. By sheer technicality, if there is an AGP or PCIe16 port then you can physically upgrade however newer cards often require more power than delivered by the AGP/PCIe bus and u need a nice powerful PSU ... and upgrading to nonDELL PSUs is not allowed ......

Raster

I was doing specs on some Dells and most didn't mention any expansion slots... The highest costing ones mentioned PCI slots for graphics cards that come with the bundle... But I haven't seen any AGP slots mentioned. However, I haven't looked at all their models.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Generally speaking with Dell you'll get a mobo with a PCIe16 graphics slot, maybe 1 PCIex1 slot and a PCI slot (usually no more than 3-4 slots total compared to ~5-6 on a normal retail board)

Raster

My apologies... Upon closer inspection, without the influence of alcohol, the system I was getting specs for, comes with 3 PCI slots. So basically, I've contributed nothing to this thread.

And the PSU only seems to max at 250 watts.