Is it worth it to upgrade CPU

xxmorpheus

I have a core i7 2700k, and i have yet to see any game that would make it wheeze. At this point, is it worth an upgrade? I run it all day and night at 5.0ghz and temps never go over 68-70c. Thoughts?

ninjabubbles3

I have a core i7 2700k, and i have yet to see any game that would make it wheeze. At this point, is it worth an upgrade? I run it all day and night at 5.0ghz and temps never go over 68-70c. Thoughts?

That's still a very capable CPU, I wouldn't upgrade it until the next socket comes out, or maybe to broad well if you really want to.

Then again, if its running fine, why would you want to upgrade

spirit

Staff member
Still a great CPU and it's barely slower than the CPUs that came out after it. Keep it until you need to upgrade. :)

beers

Staff member
Going to Ivy when you already have yours at 5 GHz isn't really worth the difference in cost.

xxmorpheus

thanks guys. Yeah its been amazing how well this cherry picked 2600k has performed. I will wait until 2015 to purchase a new one

Jiniix

I have a 2600K that I run at a chill 4.4GHz, even I see no reason to upgrade.
The only reason would be a platform upgrade if you have some M.2 SSDs lying around or something :)

TruckingCody

I still run an i7 950. (the original i7 serries). The only thing that will max it out is rendering video in 4k format. (video editing) The cpu barely breaks a sweat on gaming. Even cpu intense games its fine. The comp can handle burning blueray, 2 games, hd netflix, and an HD video render in avid and still not max out the 4th core.

In todays games, GPU's and hard drive speeds generally limit a system before CPU does. I it runs all your games on max without maxing out, there s no reason to upgrade.