Is it worth upgrading from 5930k to 8700k?

dtiao7eb

Basically what the title is asking.

I'm currently running the 5930k and I was thinking of upgrading to 8700k. but looking at various website data
for example:
http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i7-8700K-vs-Intel-Core-i7-5930K/3937vs2578

the 8700k seems to be a good upgrade. Does the 5930k have better cache? and a higher # of PCI express lanes.

Should I wait until intel releases 9700k?

I'm really only using the pc for gaming and some light video editing/photo editing.

The system also runs a 10gb nic and a gtx 1080 and 960 pro nvme ssd.

thanks for your inputs!

David

Intel_man

VIP Member
If you're gaming at 1080p you might see some throttling at the upper end of the fps range. Which only really matters if your monitor is running at 144hz or higher with or without g-sync. But on anything at 4k or 1440p, especially 4k, you're not gaining a significant amount going from the 5930k and I wouldn't throw in $700~ to migrate over just for the extra frames.

dtiao7eb

I’m running the predator z35 with gsync 144hz

I do notice some horizontal lines while playing pubg. Dunno what’s causing it. Thought it was processor issues but couldn’t justify spending the money for a little bit of gains. If it was going to be a night and day difference I would pull the trigger

Calin

I’m running the predator z35 with gsync 144hz

I do notice some horizontal lines while playing pubg. Dunno what’s causing it. Thought it was processor issues but couldn’t justify spending the money for a little bit of gains. If it was going to be a night and day difference I would pull the trigger
Considering that's a 144hz 1080p UW monitor, you will notice an improvement if you aren't GPU limited, but it's clearly not a night and day difference.