Is it worth upgrading to 64bit?

dave1701

87dtna, the reason is simple. You only lose the availability of system RAM when there is a requirement for the 32bit OS to address a total memory array above 4GB.

For example

GPU 1GB
Other stuff, sound card, HDD, DVDRAM drive etc etc = 500MB (to make it simple)
System RAM = 4GB

Now that is a total of 5.5GB that windows has to deal with. It can only address a max of 4GB (2^32). It will fully address the GPU, 1GB, and the other stuff 500MB. That 1.5GB of addressable memory is no longer available for system RAM, leaving on ly 2.5GB of total sytem ram addressable space left. So on a system with 2GB, adding another 2GB of RAM effectively gains you 500MB of system ram max (ie. 4GB - 1.5 GB = 2.5GB).

Now on a system with 2GB RAM, there is still a whole 2GB of the total 4GB addressablity left. Meaning the full 2GB of system RAM can be utilised as well as the 1.5GB of other address space. Again basic maths, 2GB + 1.5GB (GPU and other) = 3.5GB. Still below the max 4GB space allocation.

To answer the OP's question though, my thoughts:

• If you install 4GB of RAM, and you have a discrete GPU or other memory space that needs to be allocated - you need a 64bit OS.
  • 2GB RAM, a 32bit OS is fine and you wont see/need any thing else
  • Where 4GB of RAM is installed, you will see a massive increase in performance over 32bit especially when gaming etc. My machine uses nearly 6GB of RAM (remember Windows 7 handles memory different to before and will take as much as you give it)..

Good to hear, thanks for your help.

S.T.A.R.S.

banned
Stars, I understand the difference between XP and 7 as far as the way memory is used.

But this is the statement that started my entire line of quesitoning-

My point is, if you only have 2gb installed, why isn't this 1gb and 500mb being subtracted from the 2gb leaving you with 500mb of useable real ram? Meaning, once you install 4gb you will have gained literally 2 more GB of useable real ram.

In this statement by bigfella, it makes it sound like the 1gb and 500mb will only be subtracted if you are using 4gb but not if you are running 2gb. Doesn't make any sense to me.

More RAM you add,more RAM is subtracted by Windows 7 for it's general functions (HDD,GPU,kernel,foreground and background executions...etc...).
So if you have 2 GB of RAM memory Windows 7 will subtract a specific amount of RAM for it's executions and leave some amount of RAM free for YOU.If you have 4 GB of RAM,Windows 7 will do completely the same thing only it will subtract MORE RAM in 4 GB RAM systems than it does in 2 GB RAM systems and again leave some amount of RAM free for YOU.
Windows 7 never subtracts the same amount of RAM on every system.It subtracts the specific amount of RAM depending on how much RAM your system has.Because if Windows 7 ALWAYS takes the SAME amount of RAM (but it does not) then that would make it impossible to work on systems with 256 or 512 MB of RAM memory lol.
So that is why Windows 7 is programmed to take a specific amount of RAM memory according to the RAM memory capacity that your system has.

Cheers!

tremmor

Liked it Stars and made sense to me. Like said here i have XP and 4 gig and shows 3-/2 gig. Finish it up and get'er done if ya know the answer. How in the blue moon because i forgot where is all the memory being allocated. More of interest than anything else.
I couldn't find it.

StrangleHold

Staff member
Bigfella is right on this one.

87dtna, your not even getting the concept of what is being discussed here between the way a 32bit Os vs. a 64bit OS uses memory if you have 4gb. or more of memory installed. Instead of argueing about it, read up on it.

Stars, your right on, on some things, but your way off in left field on some of the B/S your stating. Windows XP/Vista and 7 32bit substract memory over the max limit of 4gb. the exact same way, and it has nothing to do with the way each system treats pagefile. The two are not one in the same and the 32bit limit has nothing to do with the way pagefile is address between the systems Two different thing and are not related to each other.

Last edited:

Okedokey

87dtna, your not even getting the concept of what is being discussed here between the way a 32bit Os vs. a 64bit OS uses memory if you have 4gb. or more of memory installed. Instead of argueing about it, read up on it.

Yep, spot on.

87dtna, read up on memory mapping in 32bit Windows. Maximum space is 2^32. What ever is left over after mapping peripherals is available to be mapped in system RAM.

87dtna

Wow really? I was asking questions how is that arguing? Did you miss posts 37 and 40 or something where I asked like 5 questions? I didn't know asking questions was arguing, I think I said I don't understand several times.
I specificallly asked bigfella to explain, and he did so in post 41 in which I was satisfied with his answer. Your post about me was not necessary whatsoever.

Okedokey

Wow really? I was asking questions how is that arguing? Did you miss posts 37 and 40 or something where I asked like 5 questions? I didn't know asking questions was arguing, I think I said I don't understand several times.
I specificallly asked bigfella to explain, and he did so in post 41 in which I was satisfied with his answer. Your post about me was not necessary whatsoever.

He said that because this is how you ask 'questions':
Wow is right, but talking about your post.

Why are you subtracting 1gb for GPU ram? He has an external dedicated card with 1gb of ram, how does that have any affect whatsoever? Your post makes no sense whatsoever...

You clearly know very little about computers (PSU thread comes to mind too) and now this. Please have some humility. Strangle was simply (if im right) asking you to read and think before saying something as above. Especially when (as proven) you have no idea. :eek:

Strangle was making a clear and accurate point. Nothing more.

Really this post is over, the OP has had his answer.

And one final comment, what the hell does this mean?:

Liked it Stars and made sense to me. Like said here i have XP and 4 gig and shows 3-/2 gig. Finish it up and get'er done if ya know the answer. How in the blue moon because i forgot where is all the memory being allocated. More of interest than anything else.
I couldn't find it.

WTF?

Last edited:

87dtna

You clearly know very little about computers (PSU thread comes to mind too) and now this. Please have some humility. Strangle was simply (if im right) asking you to read and think before saying something as above. Especially when (as proven) you have no idea. :eek:

Shut up. Atleast I know there are quad core mobile I7's you tool. Why don't you check some of the other threads you posted in and reply to those. You don't know everything, and I don't claim to like you do.

87dtna

Yeah I did laugh pretty hard when you said that all mobile I7's are dual cores....when's there's actually more quads than dual cores.

I know more about hardware than software, which is why I wasn't being an arrogant prick (as you always are no matter what even if you are wrong) about it and asking questions....saying it didn't make sense. I actually complemented you by saying you explained it to my satisfaction (something you would never ever even consider doing because of your vast superiority of knowledge), and yet in your arrogant know it all jerk fashion you have to keep pushing it with an attempt to smash me down more when I was never really arguing to being with. I garauntee that you believe you know the most about computers on this forum. The real truth is some of us have better areas of knowledge than others.

Last edited:

slim

In general 64-bit is the way to go today unless you use your computer for minimal and trivial tasks.

If you're in the need of over 4 GB's then you need a 64-bit system.

More memory can increase speed by having the swap-algorithm in your operating system not use your page-file as much as it typically would on a low-memory system. Reading/Writing your page file incurs a huge performance penalty. If you add too much memory you will not see the same incremental performance as there comes a point where the swap file is either unused (in some operating systems), or used regardless of how much extra memory you have.

S.T.A.R.S.

banned
LoL you people argue about stupid operating systems.What's wrong with you looooooool.It's just Windows OS... xD xD xD
I would be arguing about FOOD,but not WINDOWS :p

87dtna

lol, well I was gonna start an argument and be like- WHOPPER IS BETTER THAN BIG MAC

And Coke ftw...pepsi sucks :gun:

larsch

Firstly, 32bit Windows, cannot address more than 32^2 = 4GB, that is total. That includes addressable memory from the HDD, GPU, RAM, Sound card etc etc.

If you install 4GB of RAM, you will only be able to address (read: use) 4GB minus the 1GB on your GPU
Not everything gets mapped into the cpu's address space. hdd cache for example is not. About vram, usually only 256 MB per gpu is mapped.